Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Weekend of Local High School Basketball

6:45
At Brazil's Craft Beer and Wine Bar with Jane and Jerry Grice
A bright orange slice, just above the Bemus shoreline, greeted me at 6:30 this morning. Now, at 7:10, it has disappeared, a mostly overcast sky, with smudges of color, a couple of fishing tents out on the lake already.  It's warmer today, 15º and I  getting warmer today, a high of 38º.  Hey, spring is on the way. Not quite, as it's back to arctic temperature tomorrow, high of 9º.

I chickened out yesterday morning, lazing around in the morning, rather than going to an 8:15 yoga class in below zero weather.  It's too early for me these days; I enjoy relaxing too much in the morning, for a least a couple of hours, nursing a couple of cups of coffee, writing my blog, having my breakfast yogurt with organic whole oats, of course.  Evie, however, more righteous than me, wanted to get her workout in at the YMCA, so around 10:00, I dropped her off and then went to look at new cars, to see what was out there, though we don't intend on getting one till next fall or winter.  So, I stopped at Luv Toyota, dreading the salesperson, having to tell him I did not want to share my phone number or email.  Well, the he was a she and I was never even asked for my name.  Cool.  I looked at the various Prius's, liked the Prius V the best, the 'big one' in the Prius family, with more 'cargo space than small SUV's, so they say. It gets 42 MPG, but also comes with a plug in, which increases that if you choose to charge it each night.  I also checked out the Camry but the Prius V, for now, looks like the car for us, spacious enough for me, for carrying gear, trash, and family and it gets great mileage.  I liked the saleswoman, took her card, and will call back when we are interested.

The rest of the afternoon was typical, soup and leftover burro russo pasta for me, just soup for Evie. We then worked on the house together, as Evie is determined to get some spring cleaning done, room by room, before we head to Florida in late March.  I did go cross country skiing in 12º weather for about a half hour, before the cold forced me in, another sunny day on the lake.
Tip Off, Maple Grove vs. Randolph
Around 5:30, we both took showers, got spiffed up because we were going to a basketball game at JCC, the finals of the districts, as Maple Grove, the local high school was playing.  Before we left, Evie made meat loaf sandwiches for our dinner, just right, and off we went, finding the parking lot full so we had to park off in East Jesus (what ever that saying means), and walked for about ten minutes to get in the door.  The gym was packed, though we were able to find good seats when the fans from the previous Sherman/Panama game left.  As a fan of demographics, it's always interesting to see that the crowd was homogeneous, few if any minorities apparent though it would have been different if Jamestown High School was playing.  Attending these games reminded me, as always, of the small Ohio high schools, in the 1950's, like something out of the movie HOOSIERS.

Jamestown Community College Gymnasium
Maple Grove played poorly, lost by ten to Randolph, and as we were walking out of the gym, we ran into Jane and Jerry Grice, good friends for the past thirty years.  We ended up going with them to the Brazil Craft Beer and Wine Bar, a hangout that had yet to visit.  We were lucky to get seats at the bar, and they really liked it, as we enjoyed both beers and wine, as well as a cheese plate, with four different cheeses.  We stayed till about 10:30, ran into our old neighbor, Bill Deault and his wife Sarah.  He's now a Deputy Sheriff in Mayville, his Mom still lives on Park Way.

We got home around 10:30 and Jane and Jerry are picking us up this afternoon at 2:00, and we will be going to another basketball game, this time it's girls, as Chautauqua Lake plays Randolph at the Jamestown High Gym at 2:45.  Both Jane and Jerry know a number of the girls on the Chautauqua Lake team and have been following them all year.  It should be fun.

"Hatha (physical) Yoga was primarily designed to facilitate the understanding and complete mastery over the mind.  So the actual meaning of Yoga is the science of the mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...