Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Road Trip South, To Lands of Sun and Sea

Jupiter, Florida, with My Parents, in 1979
We were up by 5:00, way too early, as we have a 12 hour drive to Columbia, South Carolina today, so we want to be on the road by 6:00 if possible.  No sunrise picture this morning, so I came up with something else, a couple of old photos from our spring breaks in Florida back in the 1980's,

Yesterday was a typical day before a vacation, making a lot of lists, then checking things off as you pack or get things done.  While Evie stayed home and got organized, vacuumed, organized our clothes and beach things, I drove off to do various errands, short but necessary, like canceling our mail, doing some last minute shopping at Wegman's, returning books to the library, taking money from the ATM, and getting my new skis fixed at Jamestown Cycle.   As I said, none took long, but I did have five different stops.  Once these were done, all I had to do was pack my bag and I was done.

We did work on both cars, cleaning them, putting the Pilot in the garage, getting all our tech stuff in order, Sirius Radio, GPS, power cords for Evie's iPad, and EZ Pass.  None of this would have been part of our vacations back in the 1980's when our family would stay with my parents in Ft. Myers for one or two weeks...a map was it!  We had the car packed and ready to  go by 5:00.
Beth, Jill, and Evie, Back When Getting A Savage Tan Was Cool, Ft. Myers Beach, 1981
For dinner, we had sweet potatoes, a salmon salad, and portabellos stuffed with spinach and cheese, much leftover from last night but still good.  I finally finished THE QUIET FLAME, by Philip Kerr, one of my favorites by him.  We were in bed early, knowing we would have to get up early but slept pretty well until the alarm went off at 5:00.  Yuk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...