Friday, March 14, 2014

A Shimmering Sun Rise, A Warming Afternoon On The Lake

7:45
Last Cairn Standing
Evie and I both slept in till 7:15, and we were able to watch the blinding sunrise over Bemus, on a clear, pleasant morning here at the lake.  It's 26º outside, quite a difference from yesterday's zero, the high today, a crazy 47º, then it dips again tomorrow.  Spring seems to be flirting with us, playing hard to get, displaying her warmth, then taking it back. Ah, the fickleness of the weather gods!

I started yesterday with breakfast at the Bemus Point Inn.  It was colder than I  remember out, as I tried to clear my frozen windshield, before heading off.  And the roads, even RT 394 was still snow covered at 8:00, slippery, so I took my time.  Breakfast was a deal, two pancakes with blueberry sauce, two eggs, four sausages, for $6.25...how could you pass it up.  As usual this winter, it was only Charlie and I and fortunately, both of us enjoy the winter.  So we don't bemoan our fate, being stuck in Chautauqua County while the  rest of our breakfast crew sweats it out in Florida.
Fat Boy
Gorging On Sunflower Seeds
I was home by 9:15, and Evie was out shoveling the driveway, so I helped and we had it cleared in no time.  The snow was heavy, even though it was cold out, but it felt good to be outside, but not for long, as our fingers by the time we finished felt like they were frost bitten.  Since I have put yoga classes at Eight Limbs Studio on hold, I followed an hour long class on the Internet, easy and fun, though we did go through too many poses.  Around lunch time, Evie drove off to the mall, to get her hair trimmed by Kaycee, then work out at the YMCA.  I watched quite a bit of basketball while she was gone, as the league tournaments have begun and if you wish, you can overdose on basketball from noon on.  I did get in some cross country skiing; it was another amazingly sunny afternoon on the lake, blue skies, a few clouds, sunglasses needed.  It was bitterly cold heading north, however, just fine when I skied the other way.  I was the only person on the lake, no snowmobiles, no fishermen, just me, struggling some to keep my skies from freezing up.  I was out about forty five minutes, got a good workout, and Evie arrived home shortly after I came in.
Squirrel Safe, Birdcage-like Feeder
We decided a burger at the Seezurh House sounded good so we called the McClures, and they were up for it as well.  They came over for a beer at 6:00, and we sat in our living room, enjoying the fading afternoon, the sun setting.  We sat down at the Seezurh House at 7:00, ordered our usual, Evie a chicken sandwich, Linda a steak salad, Ron and I, burgers with fries.  It was a slow night at the Seezurh House, typical for a Thursday in the winter.

No plans for today, perhaps some skiing, maybe yoga in my living room, perhaps Evie will work out but it's a day where we should be outside, enjoying the sun and warming morning.  As I finish this, it's 8:30 and two fishermen are walking towards shore, pulling a sled, finished for the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...