Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Technicolor Dawn On A Sunday Morning


7:15
It's 7:30 and both Evie and I have been up since 7:00.  It's another morning with an amazing sky, pinks, creams, grays, puffy clouds, blue skies up above and 12 º.  It is going to be cold today, low teens most of the day, just warm enough to get in some cross country skiing, probably the last  of the year because we are leaving for Florida on Tuesday.  I don't think we will mind the warm weather!  By the way, I have forgotten to mention that most mornings now, when I get the paper, I can hear song birds, a sure sign that spring is near.
The Squirrel That Got Away

Smarty Pants
Yesterday was a typical Saturday in some ways, a visit to the Transfer Station but no yoga with Chris.  I miss the routine of going off to yoga most mornings; it leaves an empty hole in my day, with nothing necessarily to fill it.  We are starting to think seriously about our trip South, organizing what we may need in Florida, then later in Virginia.  We always take too much, overpack, like most people and we are determined to avoid that this year...no way.  I already have three pair of water shoes ready to go when I only need one...but which ones?  For me, the afternoon was another Joey Bimbo sort of day, sitting in front of the Boob Tube, watching another basketball game, wondering what else is there to do.  Evie got smart and went off to the gym, for a workout, and to Sam's, to pick up what little food we will need for the next two days...salmon and spinach, a great combination.

I finally rose from my couch, like Lazarus from the dead, and walked the Woodlawn/Victoria woods, something I have not done in awhile so it was good to reacquaint myself with my favorite walk near our house, rarely traveled except by a few neighbors.  Part was snowless, with dead, matted leaves covering the woods' floor, other parts still had snow, sometimes four for five inches thick.  It was good to be outside, to breathe the cold air, enjoy the sky, the trees, the sounds of the forest.  Evie returned home about the same time as me from my walk and while she showered and got ready for our night out at the McClures for dinner, I did a half hour session of yoga, following a series on the Internet, which energized me, like always.
Dinner a la Linda
Photo a la Linda
We drove to the Mc Clures at 6:00, stayed until 10:00, having as usual, a great time, great food and wine, and good company.  We never seem to tire of each other and when they are up at the lake, we do things together every three or four days...muy simpatico.  Dinner was a tasty pork stew with lentils, squash and salad, with brie and grapes for dessert.  After dinner, we watched three Oscar nominated short films on TV, each very different from the other.  The first, about a relationship between a hospital worker and a dying child was extremely moving, sensitively done, so that when it was over, none of us had much to say.  The second film was like a Twilight Zone episode, the third an intense film about a woman who has decided to leave her abusive husband, with her children.  She is frantic with fear, afraid he will discover her plans and we are right there with her, on the edge of our seats, hoping for the best.  The film ends with doubt, as we are not sure if the family is safe.   All of us enjoyed the films, a good way to end the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...