Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Warming Up, Sort Of

7:28

7:21

7:30

Ah, A Fireplace in the Morning

Woodlawn from Long Point

Runner and Her Dog at Long Point Park
Both Evie and I are up early, about 6:20, to utter darkness, just blinking lights on the shore of Lake Drive.  We are listening to Morning Joe, with the fireplace cracking, and I am less and less interested in political talk, like many Americans, just tired of the bickering, the lack of sensible governance, the stubbornness, the silliness.  And the pundits talk about the same thing, day after day, one show after another.  We turn on Fox just to get a different voice. I remember Evelyn Waugh saying how ridiculous it was to read a newspaper, as they write just enough to get you to read it the next day.   I sound jaded.  As I look out the window, it's now 7:00 and there's a very slight pink/orange glow over the eastern shoreline, hardly discernible but there, almost like a huge fire's final glow.

No yoga yesterday, as I mentioned, and I was not happy about it, messing up my routine.  The yoga teacher does not seem to be reliable as I have never had a class cancelled by either of the other two teachers, and this is the third time for him.  Men!  Instead, Evie and I went for a long hike through Long Point Park, snow filled trails, woods covered with almost a foot of snow, trails groomed by the staff or snow mobiles.  It was cold but not uncomfortable and it was great to be out side in the woods once again, walking to the tip of Long Point, looking across the frozen lake towards Woodlawn.  We took pictures of Woodlawn with our new Sony camera, with a 16X telephoto lens, which is powerful enough to photograph individual houses. Just what we wanted, for nature and birding mostly but also for landscapes.

We lazed around the house during the afternoon, with little ambition.  My only task was making some Turkish tea, sipping it as I read, watching the sunny day turn cloudy during the late afternoon.  Perhaps our walk tired us, or our plans for the day, to workout and shop were upset by cancellation of yoga, but neither of us had much mojo after our walk.

We had leftovers for dinner, pork chops, salad, scalloped potatoes, and apple sauce, the same as the night before and it was just as tasty.  We finally watched Downton Abbey and both of us were not disappointed but not as interested, as the same plots seemed to reoccur and married life is never as interesting as the wooing, in this case, Mary and Matthew.  And I am also tired of the prison scenes between Bates and Anna.  Let's get on with his release.  Shirley Mc Claine has gotten rave reviews as the mother in law but I found her shrill, a parody of the ugly American, and not till the last scene, when she shows some affection for Edith, that I liked her. We will keep watching.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Uncle Tom. Happy New Year. Courtney and I have just finished watching the hbo series enlightenment. Watched the whole 1st season in 2 sittings. I think you guys would like it. Definately better than fox news for God's sake. Cheers. pjh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Biff. The colors in the first few are amazing. And I was wondering how you got that pic of Woodlawn from Long Point...new camera is nice! I was going to tell you about a show we watch too. The Killing on AMC. It's being re-run now. There's 2 seasons and season 3 will start in May I think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...