Sunday, December 12, 2010

Warming Up For A Day

It's actually raining outside, the temperature is 35 degrees, and its supposed to be like this most of the day, though by tonight, its to turn to ice, sleet, then snow, and lake effect snow is forecast from tonight till Tuesday.  Of course, we are heading in to Euclid, for dinner with the Holzs, and we may have to fight our way back tomorrow, depending on the severity of the lake effect snow.  It could be no problem or it could be like last week, which is why I might consider heading up tonight, not tomorrow, just to make sure we miss the worst of the snow.  Ah, uncertainty, the bane of our lives...if only I could be certain, about anything, like there is a God!  I am slowly reading a book called SPIRITUAL ENVY, a book by a dorm mate of mine from Ohio University, Michael Krasny.  He is a well known radio talk host called Forum, that has become national on Sirius for the last five years.  I did email if quite awhile ago, and he wrote me back a nice email, remembering me, suggesting we get together if I am ever on the West Coast.  This book is an exploration of agnosticism, some one who lives not believing in God but also not saying its impossible.  He is  constantly seeking, exploring, and learning, never saying NO to anything unless there is proof, data, hard facts to support it.  His writing, his journey, so far parallels my own thinking.  I like his quotation from Julian Barnes book that traces a similar quest: "I don't believe in God but I miss him."  O, the beauty of certainty that the faithful evidence (I think).  He likens faith to that feeling one had as a child, when your world seemed simple and secure---your parents took care of you, there was a God, and Santa Claus answered your list.  Ah childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...