Saturday, December 4, 2010

Trumpeter or Tunda Swans?

We went to bed last night listening to the honking of the swans; Evie actually thought their might have been some people out in the yard but I am sure it was the swans, though they are gone this morning.  After looking up swans in my field guide, it's clear that it's very difficult to visually tell the difference between the two, that the sound they make is the most telling, thus I would say it's trumpeter.  They come from Canada, though it looks as though some my summer in the northern US.  It as 27 when I got up this morning,  gray and motionless, with a wafting of snow.  We have about two inches of white on the lawn, with more to come over the next couple of days.  According to SUNDIAL OF THE SEASONS, December is the shortest month, despite having 31 days because each day has only 9 + hours of sunlight, as we get up to lamplight and arrive home from work or school to darkness.  The sun rises in the southeastern sky, over towards the Power Boat Club, though the days have been so snowy and cloudy that they has been no discernible sunrise.

Last night's duck dinner was a spectacular success; we both loved the duck, its moist dark meat and especially the crispy skin.  One 4 1/2 pound duck is just right for two people.  I cooked for just under three hours at 350 degrees and it was done perfectly.  Add roasted potatoes and braised brussel sprouts and you have a meal fit for a king, to use a cliche.

We are off to Peterson's Farm Market, just over in Driftwood, as they are having a Swedish Open House, with free tasting of Swedish delicacies.  They are open till Christmas and always have great fruit and vegetables as well as Swedish food.

Yesterday, I sent my article on playing basketball to my friends both in the US and Turkey.  Interestingly, I received nice responses from two of my most successful friends, Jim Maggart here in the States, and Muharrem Kayhan, a successful businessman in Turkey.  Perhaps this tells you something about successful people, that they don't put things off, respond immediately, and get on with their work.  Anyways, I was impressed by the responses from both, especially Muharrem's, who also send me a piece of writing done by his daughter, a creative writing student at Columbia.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Bob, dinner was very good but looking forward to tonight's meal (spaghetti and meatballs) but even more to the fire in the fireplace and a manny (after all it is Saturday night!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...