Friday, December 10, 2010

A Partly Frozen Lake

Patches of ice, reaching out at least a hundred feet, form a patchwork of open water and ice, with mostly sea gulls and buffle heads floating in the open waters, but not for long.  It's 22 degrees, getting warmer today, though little snow is forecast.  Ron and Linda are coming over for dinner; we are having Ninette's chicken tikka massala, or butter chicken would be a closer translation.  It's partly cloudy though not as overcast as usual.  Maybe we will have some sun.

Dinner is almost done, it's almost 11:00 and we are heading over to CI to workout.  The lake is filled with wild fowl, geese, sea gulls, ducks, and even crows  It's bizarre to see them floating, then walking on the ice, as it's frozen out to the middle, then open.  I am not sure why there are so many today other than the fact that at least part of the lake is still not frozen, so they can still float and dive for food.

We worked out from 11:30 to 1:00  though I spent a good deal of my time shooting hoops or rather I should say shooting the b-ball breeze with Pete, a 70 year old retired banker, who still plays ball in a league in Jamestown and participates in 3 on 3 tournaments all over the US.  He's about my size, played for Syracuse, and loves basketball.  He is a talker and every time I try to bring up something about my basketball experiences or my family, he's off talking about something revolving around him.  I think I must attract this kind of person.  Anyways, we must have shot and talked for 45 minutes before he had to leave and I went and put about 15 more minutes in on the rowing machine before we left, stopped at the library and I picked up three more Jack Reacher novels for our trip, unless I end up reading them all first.

Evie has spent most of the afternoon getting things ready for our dinner with Ron and Linda tonight; it's amazing how much time it takes to get things ready and she started doing things last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...