Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Still Snowing

Stay gray, still snowing, and we expect another 5-8 inches over the next 12 hours.  Welcome to Chautauqua Lake weather.  It was bit cold this morning, so we turned on the fireplace, making it cosy.  We had pork cutlets last night but the Rotmos, a Swedish specialty were tasted last Saturday at Peterson's Farm was the success, basically a combination of two pounds of rutabaga to one pound of potatoes.  Cook the rutabaga for 30 minutes, the potatoes, for 20 or til tender, and add milk and butter.  The authentic version cooks the rutabaga in a ham hock stock.  It was still good without it though we did use some chicken stock.

Early this morning I went off to get some gravel for our road, where potholes have appeared, a result of the cold weather, the water, and the snow plow that has come in over the past few days.  I hope it makes a difference because it is a hassle to get into our house.

Just got back from a long walk, over an hour, through the campground and houses beyond, walking in 18-24 inches of snow at times, as it was snowing the entire way, a beautiful walk, especially through the woods in the campground.  I fell as went made our way through a large drift, much to Evie's delight, and it was hard to get up until I got my feet around and pointed them down hill.  Then I could push myself up.  This is the type of day we love, little if any wind, constant snow falling, a warm house, fire, a good dinner already made, and the possibility of a couple of Manhattans, in fact, I would say that was a certainty after our workout today.  Picking your feet up and wading through 18 inches of snow is a good work out, on all parts of your party, especially if my soreness is an indication  It's almost 2:00 and I am going to have pork cutlets sandwiches for lunch and dip back into my third or fourth Jack Reacher novel.  He's the man, as Patsi says.

Late afternoon, more tundra swans and lots of geese until the Marshall got out her gun and fired at them, scattering them.  It's snowed most of the afternoon; I have been out at least three times, shoveling the walk and cleaning off the car.  I cannot remember having so much snow, day after day, but last winter was our first and supposedly a mild one.  This year, so the veterans say, it's supposed to be much worst though I am not sure what that means.  More snow?  Rain and snow?  Cold, then warm, then cold and slushy?  We'll see,  One thing I noticed: ice is begging to form, at first on the edges but now their are large sections out in the lake, with floating ice or slush, not yet completely solid but getting there

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...