Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dusting Of Snow as Buffleheads Arrive

I was surprised to see a dusting of snow, as it was 50 degrees last night, when we went to bed.  It was 33 when I awoke, to a wet but still white world, with lots of snow to come in the next 24 hours.  Outside, it was so gray, so indistinct that I could not tell where the lake ended, the land and sky began.  But then, as more light arrived, I could see lack spots out on the lake, got out my binoculars, and voila, the first bufflehead ducks arrived.  They are smaller than mallards, mostly black until they dive, when you can see the white markings, which distinguishes them from others.  They usually stay till the lake ices over and reappear briefly in the spring. Both Evie and I enjoy their arrival, the way they seem to stay underwater and travel great distances.

At 9:00, I have my first appointment with a trainer at the Turner Center, to go over the machines, and prescribe a workout routine for me, one that emphasizes the core and cardiovascular health.  I am not into muscle building, becoming a Charles Atlas.  Evie has her appointment at 10:00 and we should both be back by noon when the snow storm is coming, if the weather predictions are correct. I will also stoop by the library, perhaps get another Jack Reacher nove, as I have finished the two I took West  I think we are ready, though I have yet to put the small car away in our garage.  I think I will wait a couple of weeks, so we have two cars for our use, unless a huge storm is coming and then I will put it away.

I just got back from my first workout and enjoyed it, especially learning how to use some of the machines.  Those that isolate the core, my back and stomach, seem to me to be the most valuable.  The rowing machine, also, seems really good as it exercises lots of muscle areas and while I used it for a few minutes, I could tell it would give me quite a workout if I kept at it for 15 or 20 minutes.  I went up and worked out on the elliptical and the treadmill for about 35 minutes, then went to Chautauqua Library, to return books, and take out a couple more.

I don't know what I would do if I didn't have something good to read this winter; I enjoy reading immensely though I find I am reading serious stuff less, thrillers more.  Maybe I am tired of thinking, or just want a relief from heavier texts.  We'll have to see if a long period.  I do get more serious stuff from the Internet but don't read anything longer than a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...