Friday, July 20, 2018

The Best Of Summer

First Family Selfie Of Summer

6:07
 A splendid sunrise, filling the living room with its light on a delightfully cool, 62º morning.  The lake appears quiet, empty although I am sure I heard bass boats roar off from the Marina at 5:30, just as I was getting up.  It's 6:45 and I am the only one up, so I think I will go kayaking as the lake is just starting ruffle as the breeze seems to be picking up.  A long paddle, over an hour, with no photos of herons, as I scared away two before I could take a shot. 

A Dahlia Or Two A Day

Two
Yesterday could not have been a better day. Lots of sun, a nice breeze, temperatures in the high 70's and Beth and Marisa were with us to enjoy a day on the lake.  I paddled early, getting back by 7:30, so that I could drove to Bemus Point for breakfast with the guys, just three of us.  When I returned, everyone was up, sitting on the front porch, enjoying the early morning and breakfast.  Beth and I, however, drove to Lakewood and I dropped off my Honda to get the yearly inspection and the air conditioner fixed.  We then drove home, avoiding the road construction along the bridge. 

Marisa
We then got some things done, the main task, getting rid of the netting I put around my dock to keep out the barn swallows.  It worked well and I hope to save the netting for next year if we need it.  I also washed the front windows and helped Marisa get ready for a day of fishing.  She loves to sit on the dock and catch perch and sunfish.  And even better, she can not only put a worm on the hook, but she can take a fish off the hook and throw it back in the lake. 

Kayak Girl
And that was it for the day, as the four of us were either on the dock, enjoying the sun, floating on a raft or kayaking.  Lunch was leftover tuna macaroni salad and corn chowder and we ate whenever we felt like it.  I did get in a nap, as did both Beth and Marisa, both tired from their flight and ride to the lake yesterday.  Evie, who never naps, also fell asleep briefly on the dock.  It was a day of catching up on our sleep, regaining our mojo for the week to come.

Grillin And Chillin
We took a nice boat ride over to Bemus and back around 6:00, just as a breeze picked up and the lake became choppy.  Once we boated beyond Long Point, into the bay, we were protected so it was a calm cruise.  When we got back, I fired up the grill and Marisa and Beth set the table outside while Evie prepped dinner.  She had marinated a chuck roast for 24 hours, a nice thick piece and I grilled it for about 20 minutes, charring the outside, hoping the inside was still rare.  It wasn't but still tasty.  We also had corn, baked potatoes and salad.  It was a perfect night to eat out, a slight breeze, cool, as the sky began to lose its color. 

Dinner With Beth
After dinner, we did up the dishes and then spent a good part of the evening, laughing as Marisa went through each item in the Treasure Chest, modeling some of the outrageous stretch pants and even a dress our good friend Barb dropped off a couple of weeks ago.  It was a fun evening and we all went to bed early, around 10:00, hoping to catch up on our sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...