Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A Kingfisher Fourth Of July

A Belted Kingfisher

 Belted  Kingfisher In Color
5:35

6:06

6:07
It's 6:30, I have been up for an hour and I am already thinking of putting an air conditioner in one of the downstairs windows.  It's that close already, a 73º, with rain expected, perhaps, later in the day. I just returned from a long paddle to Tom's Point, back through a weed infested Bootey Bay and home, running into fellow kayakers, Tina and Jim, once again. And I was lucky to get a bunch of photographs of the frenetic kingfisher, who rarely stays on his perch for long. 

Kayak Morning

                                                                         Victoria Through The Reeds
Yesterday was a scorcher, like the past few days, with little energy to do much other than surviving the heat and sun, which we did.  I paddled early and went to my last yoga class in a while as I am getting tired of my routine of paddling and yoga every morning.  Maybe I will just do neither which would begin a new routine.  After yoga, I was getting my new sunglasses at 11:45, so I had an hour to waste before the appointment.  So I accomplished a few things, getting a coffee, depositing a check, shopping at Aldi's and washing my car.  And then I picked up my new, cool shades.  Now I have to figure out how to interchange them with my regular glasses and not lose either pair, a problem when you are almost 75 years old.

When I returned home, our Amish painter was just finishing up our garage and fixing the front door which was difficult to open.  He was a good guy and we will miss not seeing him.  Evie helped put away the groceries and made me a salami, cheese, and pickle sandwich for lunch,  I watched BABYLON BERLIN, took a brief nap, while Evie cut the lawn in stages.  I joined her on the dock around 3:00 and worked on cutting weeds in our swimming area for forty-five minutes, a never-ending task.  I started itching by the time I was through and wondered whether it was the seaweed or the lake algae which is becoming a problem everywhere.  My sister Linda, who lives on Lake Erie, told us the lake is pea green at the moment from algae and July has just begun.  What will our lakes be like in August?

When we came in from the dock, we both showered and prepped dinner, a cobb salad, garlic bread and sweet corn.  We then relaxed in the heat of the late afternoon with a libation and cheese and crackers for an hour until we got hungry.  Evie then made the Cobb salad, I shucked the corn, and we had a different, meatless dinner, although the Cobb salad had bacon so our dinner was not really meatless.  We watched a series we had started a couple of weeks ago called MARCELLA and picked up on what was happening fairly quickly.  Before we went up to bed, I turned on our air conditioner for an hour, cooling off the room so we can sleep with the windows open.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...