Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Overcast, Breezy, and Cooler

6:33

7:10

7:11

7:17
It's almost 7:00 and yep, I have been up for an hour.  This time I woke to a single, honking goose and the sound of a bass boat roaring by.  When we open the windows during the summer on the lake, this is how we should expect to wake.  It's  61º and no rain forecast until tomorrow.

I started yesterday the way I should start each morning, with a good kayak paddle.  And though we had only been gone for four days, it seemed strange to be home.  We had lots to do but lacked the wont to do it. Perhaps it was jet lag, or should I say travel lag but I would attribute it to the heat and humidity, our first really uncomfortable day at the Lake this June.  So we were slow getting started but picked up the pace as the day progressed.  I finally got outside around 10:30.  We had noticed the day before the top step on our ladder was missing.  So I measured carefully the length of the step, got our my saw, cut it to a 27-inch length, then found some old outdoor carpet in the attic, cut it, and attached it to the board with tacks.  By the time I was done, I was soaked with sweat and donned my bathing suit and jumped in the lake for the first time yesterday.  I also worked on adjusting the buoys, as they always need tweaking to keep them in a straight line.

By the time I got out of the lake and dressed, Evie had a basic list for me, so I headed off to Lakewood.  I stopped at Home Depot to pick up some safety glasses for weed wacking and a new fire extinguisher, as ours is over 15 years old.  I then went next door to Wegman's to pick up some salmon and spinach for dinner, as well as a few more things we needed.  I was home by 12:30 and it felt good to relax on the couch, have a quarter of my sub from Wegmans, Danny's favorite by the way, and watch some TV.  Because I was up before 5:00, I was really tired, so I went upstairs to take a nap but could only get in a cat nap, not a good, hearty hour long nap as I wanted.

I started my new book, the 12th in Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series, PRUSSIAN BLUE.  Soon I got bored sitting outside and went out to help do some things in the yard.  Evie was out as well, cutting the lawn, taking her time as the humidity really was thick.  By the time she was through, we both decided to jump in the lake.  It was so pleasant on the dock that we stayed out, enjoying the sun for forty-five minutes.

Around 5:30, Evie prepped the salmon and spinach for dinner and we both went out on the dock to enjoy a glass of wine.  Despite the heat, the temperature in the 80's, it was pleasant because of a  nice breeze. When Evie went in to broil the salmon, I jumped in the lake to cool off for the third time Tuesday. We settled down to a dinner of salmon, spinach and rice around 7:00, watched the talking heads debate the Sessions lack of knowledge and unwillingness to answer some questions, stonewalling to be more accurate, before turning to a couple of episodes of BETTER CALL SAUL.  Evie and I took turns keeping an eye on the kids putting in our neighbors dock as they were having a hard time getting the headpiece level.  After several adjustments they were successful.  We ended the evening as usual with Vice News before going up to bed.

I was hoping to kayak this morning but the breeze has ruffled and wrinkled the lake so I will be satisfied with sitting in my living room, listening to NPR and Morning Joe.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...