Tuesday, June 13, 2017

HAPPINESS IS SLEEPING IN YOUR OWN BED


5:15

5:23

5:57

5:58
It's 6:15 and I have already been up for an hour, waiting for then watching the sunrise over the Long Point Pavilion, as it has almost reached its farthest march north.  Soon, on June 21, the summer solstice will arrive and it will begin its long road south again.  It's taken retirement here at the lake for me to realize or at least see for myself how much the sun moves during the seasons. Duh.  And because I was up so early and it's a beautiful morning, I was out on the water by 7:00 for an hour, kayaking to Long Point, across to Sandy Bottom, then along Woodlawn and home, a good way to start the day.

Heading To Long Point

Clouding Up

Threatening Or Just Plain Spectacular
Yesterday was an empty day, at least in comparison to our past weekend at our grandson's graduation. We started the day with a slow wake up hour Hampton Inn, no hurry, just sleep in if we could and get on the road whenever.  Well, neither one of us slept in and we were on the road by 8:30, anxious to get home and get the six hour drive over with.  It would have been a pretty drive through the Southern Tier if we had paid much attention to the green, the hills, almost mountains that filled the roadside as we flew west to the lake.  But we were focused on getting home, so I had to remind myself as I drove to enjoy the going as much as the arriving.  To travel is better than to arrive, a mantra I should pay more attention to.

We stopped once, for breakfast and arrived home around 2:30, to a surprisingly warm and humid day on the lake.  Everything looked dry as we had obviously had little if any rain in the past four days. We quickly unpacked and then didn't know what to do which always happens after a trip.  We have four days of frenzy, worrying about getting here or there and when we get home, it stops and we don't really have to do anything if we don't want.  So we didn't do anything much, perhaps sit out on the dock, read, or play on our devices.  Finally, around 4:30 I got fed up with my sloth and went out and washed the car, scrubbing the bugs off the front of the car.  I worked up enough of a sweat to want to go for a swim.  My entrance into the lake was tentative, even slow but once I got in, got used to the cold, it was delightful and I swam around for five or ten minutes.  It was refreshing and not as cold, obviously, as three weeks ago when I first swam.

We had a relaxing wine time on our front porch even though it was still close outside.  It was a quiet early evening on the lake, hazy and calm, as the sky and lake began to lose there color, the sun begin to fall behind the tree line.  We had an easy dinner of leftovers, frozen roast beef, gravy, and mashed potatoes.  Just pull it out of the freezer and warm it up.  We watched a few programs, waiting with trepidation for the Cavs game because we were not optimistic about the result.  And we went to bed at halftime, thinking that the Cavs would not be able to pull it out.  We were right as this morning I read about the Golden State win. C'est la vie...the Cavs lost to a better team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...