Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Snow Bound


7:47
It's 7:30 and I have been up only a half hour, having slept in a bit.  It's a beautiful morning of white as we got another 10+ inches last night, frosting whatever was bare before.  More is expected today so it look like a good day to be outside either skiing or snowshoeing.  And the Arctic temperatures are gone as it's a warm 25º this morning, the high getting to 29º.  And it has just started snowing again...better get out there and start shoveling, trying to keep up with the snow gods (did the Greeks have a snow god?)

After a busy weekend, we both returned to our routine, happy to be 'back in the saddle again' (thanks Gene Autry).   I drove to yoga yesterday at 9:00, a different teacher because our usual instructor is vacationing in Italy and Croatia.  For some reason, I have always liked the idea of vacationing in Venice in the winter when, I assume, there are few tourists.  Anyways, class was fine, with Julie, an instructor I am used to and it was good for some of the Monday regulars to have a new teacher and realize her classes are good.  I stopped only to get gas, below two bucks, on the way home because I knew Evie wanted to get to the gym early, before the snows began.  It seemed to be a washing Monday, as our beds were stripped, both washer and dryer going when I got home.  Nothing like clean sheets to slide into at night.   I made myself a quesadilla and heated up some split pea soup, then settled down to watch TREME and some Sports Center.

Verticals Of Woodlawn
I then read, took a brief siesta, waking just as Evie walked in the store with groceries, storing up for the next couple of days in case we get snowed in.  Once the groceries were put away, Evie got busy with our dinner, a pot roast.  She seared the good looking piece of beef, added carrots, potatoes, and pearl onions, popped it in the oven, and dinner was basically ready.  I love the smell of a pot roast, as it fills the kitchen with its aromas.  I got up off my couch and despite the fact that it was windy and cold, I ventured out onto the lake, to see if it was good for cross country skiing.  The surface was decent but the wind was a killer, so I headed on shore at Victoria and skied up into the Victoria/Woodlawn woods, where there was little wind.  It was a good choice as I spent close to an hour bushwhacking and making trails through the woods, the snow perfect for skiing.  I was the only out although someone, probably Jeff and Nancy, had been out earlier skiing.

Chautauqua Lake's Twilight Blues
I was home just after 5:00, as it was getting dark, in time for wine time.  Evie, however, was busy in the kitchen, having decided that some fluffy biscuits, would be the perfect accompaniment to our pot roast.  When I tasted them, I had to agree but it cut short her wine time though she did not seem to mind.  Around 6:30, Evie made a salad,  dished out the pot roast, piled the biscuits on a plate, and we were ready for another great dinner.  It feels so good to be in our house, cosy and warm and well fed, as it snows outside.  We watched a couple of saved TV shows, BILLIONS and THE GOOD WIFE, We then skipped quickly through the disappointing Grammy Awards, as none of the musical acts, with the exception of the first scene from HAMILTON, grabbed us although Lady Gaga's tribute to David Bowie was good, even spectacular.  She is one talented woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...