Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Another Scary (The Donald Wins) Rainy Day Wednesday


7:15
Up just after 6:00, with three delicious hours of relaxation, sipping coffee, listening to the radio and writing my blog before I head off to yoga.  I don't like to be rushed in the mornings, take my time enjoy the sunrise.  Unfortunately, this morning's sunrise has been bleak, no sun, overcast, with rain, washing away what's left of the whiteness of winter.  At least it's not freezing rain as predicted last night with a Winter Weather Advisory.  No fishermen today, too wet, too cold.

John and Maryanne, Enjoying the Morning Skating
Skating Early Morning
We began yesterday morning with sunshine, then enjoyed seeing our neighbors, John and Mary Ann, skating off of Long Point around 8:30 in the morning.  We were envious, wishing we too could glide along the ice on a brilliant, sunny morning.  I immediately went upstairs and got my skates out, to make sure they were warm if I decided to give it a try after yoga.  They must have been out enjoying the morning for an hour.  I left for yoga just after 9:00, energized by the sun and blue skies, only the quiet and dark of a yoga studio.  I can see why I don't often go during the warmer months but in winter, it's a perfect panacea to the gray.  Class was a little slow, as there were a couple of beginners who needed extra time from Julie though it really does not bother me.  After all, I still consider myself a novice.  Afterwards, I drove to the car wash, got the deluxe, an under carriage wash and a wax for seven bucks, with a coupon.  Then, I headed home, wondering if I would give skating a try.

Evie was working on choosing pictures of our grandson, Nick, for Tom and Mary -- they are working on a shutterfly photo album his graduation, so I grabbed my skates, my poles, and a chair and walked out on the lake.  I set the chair squarely on the edge of the frozen lake, and laced up my skates and took off, sort of.  My skates dug into the ice, making it difficult for me to glide and I felt and looked like a 72 year old novice on skates.  After about ten minutes, I had enough.  It was not fun...I was afraid of falling and did not feel comfortable on skates.  Discretion is the better part of valor so I knew when to get off the ice.  I remained envious of our neighbors but I was not going to get back out there, at least today.  I won't say never because it's so inviting.

Evie was excited to head off to Lakewood because she had shopping to do at Wegmans (it was senior citizens discount day) and she wanted to continue her routine at the YMCA.  When she left, I put together my lunch, a healthy bowl of Evie's vegetable soup to go along with a couple of unhealthy egg salad sandwiches, a treat nonetheless.  I have started watching a Netflix series called NARCOS, about the rise of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar and it's both riveting and scary.  The drug dealers in Columbia have no conscience, especially Escobar, so there's lots of violence, murder, and intimidation.  And all this is fueled by the insatiable appetites of the US for cocaine.  After lunch, I read some, a new book that I picked up by mistake on a book shelf and so far, it's pretty good.

A Lovely Afternoon For Fishing
I then took a nice siesta and just as Evie returned, around 4:00, I had decided I need some exercise, so I drove off to Dobbins Woods, about a 15 minute drive.  It's a Preserve, one we have walked and skied and snowshoed many times.  Because of the warm weather, I wore my boots though I might have been able to ski in some areas.  It was a rough hike because of the uneven trail, with crunchy snow, areas of water, and lots of icy tracks, of both skis and boots.  It was, however, good to be in a woods of hemlocks, as the sun was setting off to the west.  My walk took about 45 minutes, slow going because of the mud and ice.

The Sky From Dobbins Woods
I was home at 5:00, in time to sit down with Evie and enjoy a glass of wine.  While I was gone, she had made some brownies so I was welcomed by their aroma when I walked in.  Brownies and vanilla ice cream for dessert...the best. Dinner was easy, some frozen cabbage rolls and mashed potatoes.  So all Evie had to do was heat it up and make a salad.  We watched the next BETTER CALL SAUL, a bit slow, then the most recent John Oliver's Last Week on HBO.  He is really good, as he pokes fun yet is often serious about the craziness of life in America, our often irrational attitudes and beliefs.  We ended the night listening to the pundits talk about the Donald phenomenon.  They, like most of us, have no explanation for the Republicans embracing of this fear mongering, mean spirited, often racist autocrat in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...