Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Feeling The Bern But A Carny Also Wins


7:25
It's 7:30 and I have been up for an hour.  I walked outside to get the paper in a couple of inches of fresh snow, more to come over the next couple of days.  And it's  getting colder, 21º at the moment, down to zero this weekend.

Yesterday was another Chautauqua gray day, with a few snow flakes later in the day though no accumulation of any account.  I was one of four in yoga at 9:30.  I then drove off to wash my car at a self washing establishment, just before Wegman's.  I am not sure it will do much good but the car sure looks, even feels better clean.

 Pileated Woodpecker
Making A Mini Cave
When I  got home, Evie spent a part of the morning watching and photographing a woodpecker peck holes in a tree, then put together an Indian spiced chicken dinner ready to heat.  And she was ready to drive off to the YMCA, iPhone in hand.  She can hardly wait to get to the gym to start her music and workout.  Without music, there would be no workout for her and true for many others.  I had the last bowl of vegetable soup for lunch, along with a bagel with tomatoes and the rest of our rotisserie chicken.  And I watched another episode of TREME, still not taken with it but I soldier on.

I am halfway through Martin Walker's THE DEVIL'S CAVE, another Bruno the Police Chief novel. They are great fun, especially Bruno, who is basically happy, so unlike the depressed Swedish and Norwegian detectives that are more well known like Wallender and Harry Hole.  Evie was gone for over two hours, having done some shopping.  I meanwhile was happy to read, cosy on my couch, experimenting with our new Apple Music library.  It's amazing...just type in the name of a song or group, and up comes their music.  Thanks, again, to our son Tommy.

Around 4:00, despite the gloom and gray of late afternoon, I drove over to Bemus, parked my car, and walked Lakeside Drive, windy as usual, with sleet hitting my face on my way back.  It still felt good, invigorating to be outside, so I did not mind the weather.  And I met a couple of hardy women, out like me for a walk.  I was home in time for wine time though I had been hankering for a Bloody Mary, so I ended up making myself two, with lots of horseradish of course, a fine way to end the day,

A Brilliant White Lake,  Late Afternoon
We had a version of Butter Chicken for dinner, on rice, with a great salad, made special with hard boiled eggs.  And we watched the end of the terrible Bernie Madoff mini series though Richard Dreyfuss, as Bernie, was good.  We then watched some Stephen Colbert, waiting to hear the speeches by Bernie and Trump.  Bernie's was longwinded but heartfelt, intelligent, and well thought out, explaining his vision for American.  Trump, sounding like a carnival carny, pontificated, appeared unprepared, full of bombast and hyperbole and did the impossible: he made George Bush sound articulate and thoughtful.  That people vote for Trump or Cruz seems to me incredible but it just shows how far my beliefs are from the Republican mainstream.  I could live with Bush or Kasich, perhaps Rubio, but Cruz or Trump? Heaven help us.  Cruz is scary, Trump a loose cannon, and his only virtual is he's not much of a traditional Republican, certainly not a strict conservative as the National Review has argued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...