Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Touch Of Winter


7:40
It's 7:20 and both of us are up, listening to the pundits debate the politics in New Hampshire; I just heard one ask Bernie if he was Larry David... ha, ha.   It's 34º and was supposed to snow last night but it was hardly a dusting and at the moment, it looks like a whiteout is coming although it has yet to snow.  I assume it's waiting for me to get in my car and drive to Bemus for breakfast.

Cloud Splendor
Yesterday was a good yoga class at 10:00, nothing special, just ten of us, even a couple of guys.  I was uncharacteristically warm, of course, almost got up to 60 in the afternoon. When I got home, Evie was ready to go to the Y and she had already put together my lunch, an amazing salad of leftover salmon and avocados, one of the reasons I love having salmon for dinner.  We always have enough left for a salad the next day for lunch.  I started the second season of TREME and got bored half way through, too much music for me, and went into the living room to read and take a nap, or what the Greeks and Spaniards might call, a siesta. The Europeans understand its beauty; it's like waking up to two mornings, ready to go.

Victoria Creek's Mouth
Woodlawn and Victoria Melt
Selfie In a Tee Shirt
Evie was back by 3:30 and I was ready to get out, so I went for a hike through the Victoria/Woodlawn woods.  The streams are lively and noisy, filled with melting snow, and the woods floor was surprisingly dry except for a few areas where water would drain down to the creeks.  It was good to be in the woods again, with blue skies, the sun beginning to drop behind me.  I was out for an hour before coming home and Evie was ready for bear: she wanted to give me a quick hair cut.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Woodlawn Creek
Babbling Brook
After the haircut, we both showered, got dressed, and drove off to Jamestown at 5:30 because we were going to the Reg Lenna Theater to see THE BIG SHORT.  No Forte restaurant this time, as we decided on Mexican and ate at the bar of a very crowded Taco Hut, just across the street from the theater.  Evie loves their portabello pizza on a crispy tortilla and I ordered flautas, with a white sauce, and sides of rice and beans.  All was good.  The theater was not as crowded as Saturday but a really good crowd of close to four or five hundred I would say.  We ran into Julie Lescynski and her husband Tom, as well as a woman who works at the Robert Jackson Center.   The movie was interesting but did not grab us like SPOTLIGHT.   It's so outrageous that it might be a comedy.  The comedy, however, the silly person who trips over a chair. is the average American, who trusted both its banks, the rating systems, their real estate agents and the government.  So it's really tragic as well a comic and it follows the traders who understand the housing market was going to fail and bet against it, bet against the US economy and made billions.  Ah, the beauty of rampant capitalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...