Thursday, July 30, 2015

Rain Overnight, A Clean, Well Washed Morning



6:50
It's 7:40 and I have been up for an hour.  We miraculously got a half an inch of rain last night despite the fact I put the cover on my boat, usually an indicator that it won't rain...but it did.  Our neighbors grown kids, the Leonard leave this morning, so they are squeezing the last few ounces of lake life, kayaking early as well as going for a swim.  They along with a couple of rafts of ducks are the only action on the lake this morning.  Today should be a little cooler than yesterday, sunny for the next couple of days.  And the martins are back at our house, getting ready for their migration South, singing and flying from one house to another, gathering forces I suppose for their journey.

We knew yesterday was going to be warm, high 80's so after our coffee and writing the blog, we took an hour and a half kayak paddle, over to Tom's Point as the crow flies, across to Bemus, then home along Lakeside Drive.  It was a perfect morning, not too hot yet, few boats on the lake, most homes still sleeping, at least we did not see a single soul on a dock.  I cannot believe how many people miss the best part of the day, early mornings.  Of  course, I did too for the first sixty five years of my life.
Lake Side Lawn Ornament Along Lakeside Drive
And that was it for most of the day, as both Evie and I had no interest in the house or yard, other than watering the geraniums, eventually cleaning up the kitchen but that was it for most of the day.  Lunch was BLT's, and I finally watched the beginning of the new season of Ray Donovan, my man.  It's not Evie's cup of tea so I usually watch it once a week over lunch.  Unfortunately, I had another dentist appointment, so into Jamestown I went, with stops at Sam's Club for dinner, a rotisserie chicken, enough for a couple of meals, then Tops, the Peterson's as well as the dentist.  I was home, however, by 4:00, in time to join Evie on the dock for some sun and a swim.  She's been reading LIFE AFTER LIFE, by Kate Atkinson, a novel both my sister and Ellen and I have enjoyed.
A Profusion Of Geraniums
Since we knew rain was coming, we took a before dinner cruise, following practically the same route we took in the morning, in our kayaks.  Despite the heat, it was cool most of the way, a nice breeze until we got back to Woodlawn, somewhat sheltered from the wind, so it heated up.  After our ride, Evie reluctantly adjourned to the kitchen (she's getting used to this life of 'large leisure') and sauteed some spinach, cooked the corn, and cut up the chicken, and we had an easy dinner.  We did not eat until almost 8:00 and watched two episodes of Masters of Sex, getting caught up.  And we are back to enjoying it, the acting is superb, the conflicts interesting and timely.  We forget how ground breaking their Human Sexual Response was back in the 1960's, the opprobrium it received from the Establishment, as the adult world was then called.  I am almost finished with THE CARTEL and cannot fathom the violence and brutality of the drug wars, the scope of it, the fact that most of us north of the border just went on living 'the good life', paying little attention to the atrocities of the 'war on drugs.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...