Friday, July 31, 2015

A Cloudless Morning Of Blue

6:03
6:21
It's 7:00 (61º) and I have been up for an hour, drinking coffee, listening on and off to NPR, reading on my Mac, listening to the roar of bass boats, out this morning early.  I am thinking a tournament may be coming up this weekend.  I also saw a solitary kayak out around 6:30, a perfectly calm morning to be out, as there's no wind yet.

Yesterday was warm but more enjoyable, less humidity I guess, so we spent much of the day outside again, in the water, under the shade of trees, getting dinner ready, things like that.  Around 9:00, we could not resist the temptation to kayak, so we went out for an hour, down to Whitney Bay and back, cool going, a bit warmer coming back.  Either way, it was a fine morning to be out, few boats, a light breeze trying to keep us cool.  Again, we met only a solitary soul sitting on her dock, the rest of the cottages asleep or empty.  When we got back, we both went for a swim, cooling off and stayed on the dock.  I decided to clean the bottom of my boat, and found, once again, lots of small shells attached to the bottom and it took lots of scrubbing to get them off.  In the past, its only been algae.  While I was in the water, I decided to do some weeding, cutting the weeds in our swimming area although the lake is the best its been in years.  I did manage, however, to come up with a couple of large buckets of weeds, cleaning our area, and spread them on our dock to dry.  Once they dry, they are devoid of any water, almost weightless and easy to get rid of.

While I was out cutting weeds, Evie was making some mushroom barley soup and a menemen, a Turkish omelet for lunch.  I ate and watched another episode of Ray Donovan, and joined Evie out on the dock.  Soon, however, it became too hot for me, so I sat under our trees and read.  Evie took a break from the dock, to put together our dinner of chicken enchiladas.  Around 3:30, I got bored with sitting and decided to see if a bike ride would be a good idea.  So I went to Bemus, with the idea of a short ride but ended up riding for an hour, my usual ride, out to Long Point, through the park, and back to my parked car, near the bridge.  It was surprisingly windy and I could not tell which direction the wind was coming from because it always seemed I was going into the wind.  When I got home, I joined Evie on the dock for a glass of wine before dinner.

Around 6:30, Evie baked the chicken/black bean enchiladas, got out all the fixings and we had what is fast becoming one of my favorite dinners.  I love covering them with lettuce, avocados, tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream.  We watched some Jon Stewart, The Nightly Show, and the first episode of the third season of Rectify.  I had forgotten how many exceptional TV series begin during the summer, not in the fall.  I finally finished THE CARTEL, a really good read though depressing as hell.  I will say more about it when I blog on it.  Winslow leaves the reader feeling guilty and  responsible for all this suffering (mostly of the poor) south of the border through our indifference, our refusal to see their pain, hear their cries.  We are all connected.  Everything is connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...