Friday, January 16, 2015

Warming Up Some With Snow

8:05
Early Morning Fishing 
No below zero temperatures this morning, in fact, it's was a toasty 27º when I got up at 7:20.  It looked cold and uncomfortable out, windy, snow flurries, yet three or four tents were already out in the middle of the lake, enjoying the morning.  It looked like something out of one of the scariest movies of the 1950's, THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, about a creature found frozen in the arctic tundra and the scientists mistakenly let it thaw and come alive.  Scared the heck out of me when I saw it.

Yesterday was not as cold, temperatures late morning in the low 20's.  Unfortunately, my Accord would not start and Evie needed the car as well, so we debated whether I should go to yoga or not. We decided I would go but leave early, so she could make her dentist appointment at 11:30.  Yoga was fine even if I missed savasana, a smaller class than usual but a couple of new positions.  I was home just after 11:00, in time for Evie to make her appointment.
Hiking Across The Lake To Long Point
I called AAA, and they sent a guy out within the hour, from Mayville Auto.  I decided I would just let them take care of my car, so they put it on their truck, quite a process, and they took it to Mayville.  For lunch, Evie had made egg salad sandwiches, so I enjoyed myself by a guilty pleasure, watching the first episode of this years series of BANSHEE, a series, like RAY DONOVAN, chock full of sex, violence, sexy women, vindictive heroes, and evil doers.  There's a certain pleasure we all take when a bad guy gets his just desserts, even if the sheriff does not follow the law.

Evie was back around 2:00, having shopped some after her appointment.  I was reading my new book, highly recommended by my nephew, Pat Holzheimer, THE BOOK OF UNKNOWN AMERICANS, the story of the lives of the many immigrants from Latin America, the people who cut your lawns, fry your eggs, clean your homes, loiter around the commons waiting for work.   I really am enjoying it, a nice change from my Danish crime thrillers.  Around 3:00, the mechanic called, my car was ready and he said all it needed was new spark plugs.  Well, I will find out if he's right in the next couple of days, but at least it started when Evie took me to pick it up.  I then stopped at Tops in Mayville, and picked up some things for last nights dinner. I had come across an interesting recipe, Mushroom Marsala Pasta Bake, ziti pasta shapes with mushrooms, mozzarella, Marsala wine, and Parmesan cheese.  As usual, I emailed it to her in the morning, to see if it was something she might enjoy making.  She did and it was tasty, along with a couple of Italian sausages on the side.  It would make a good side, and we half almost half leftover for lunch today.
It Takes A Village
We watched a cheesy older movie, AN UNFINISHED LIFE, with a great cast, Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Lopez and Damien Lewis of HOMELAND fame.  The best part of the movie was the setting, the mountains of Wyoming, making me want to jump in my car this spring and drive West.  Some day.  We finished the night with a dose of American Idol, before going to bed at 11:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...