Wednesday, January 14, 2015

14 Below!!!

7:40
8:10
I was up at 7:15, knew it was supposed to be cold last night, checked the thermometer, read 14º and I thought that's' strange.  It felt much colder than that when I got the paper.  I checked again on the web and realized it was -14º, quite a difference.  At the moment, 8:00, the sun is bright in the southwestern sky, filling the lake's glistening, snowy surface with its rays.  And there are a number of fishermen, off of Victoria, in the middle of the lake.
Chez Davis In Winter
Despite yesterday's cold weather, I ventured out at 9:10, the car started easily, and I drove off on a frigid morning to yoga in Lakewood.  This is usually a poorly attended class but I was glad to see its catching on, as we had eight students, some becoming regulars.  I made it through class without a coughing jag so I must be getting better.  And I feel better, more energetic, wanting to do things.  I stopped for coffee and drove home in brilliant sunlight, a blue sky, and very cold temperatures. And I walked out on the lake, to see if it would be good for cross country skiing but, unfortunately, there's two or three inches of slush beneath the snow, making it terrible for skiing.
Woodlawn
We ate a lunch of lentil soup and a quesadilla, and watched another episode of The Americans, so I could get it off in the mail later in the day.  We want to get through two seasons before season three starts in February.  We continue to really like it and it seems each episode really surprises us with a new twist.  Despite being hard core spies, we can see them beginning to question their loyalty and honor, especially after they have been suspected of being double spies, even tortured as a test.  They seem to be the crazy terrorists of the Cold War, putting silly ideas before their humanity.  And look where it got them, no where, to a country that's now more free but not because of their beliefs but in spite of their beliefs.
Skiing Victoria Woods
Around 4:00, despite the cold, I went cross country skiing, bush whacking in the Victoria woods, making trails so that it will easier going the next time I get out.  I have trouble locking my boots into my new bindings, which is a pain.  I was out only for about a half hour because of the cold, but I worked up a sweat nevertheless.
Fishing As Sun Begins To Set
We enjoyed dusk with cheese and crackers and a couple of glasses of wine.  No need to do much about dinner because we were having leftover pot roast from Sunday so that was nice.  We ate dinner around 7:00, watched some shows we had saved, Bill Maher but had to watch The Good Wife with commercials which drove us both nuts.  We are not used to watching shows with commercials, obviously, and vowed we would never do it again until today.  We were in bed by 11:00, reading  and ready to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...