Saturday, January 17, 2015

Ah Saturday

7:50
Skiing On The Lake
It's another very cold morning, 2º in the shade, a delightful morning sky, not quite an Arizona sky but still pretty darn picturesque.   I was up at 6:30 to a chilly house, 56º, so I flipped on the fireplace to warm things up quickly, turned on NPR, and listened to Click and Clack, then Only A Game before heading off to yoga.

Yesterday began with yoga at 9:30 with Courtney, with a couple of new students which is great.  I am starting to feel like the veteran because I know all the positions, rarely need coaching as to how to do something, like 'the old man and the yoga mat.'  We also did one of my favorites, Legs Up the Wall or Falling water.  It's easy and feels great to relax with your torso on the floor, your legs up against the wall.  I stopped at Ryder's for a cup of coffee and resisted the temptation to stop at the Ashville Country Store to buy a Cuban sandwich.  I am so impressionable that if I am reading a book about Latin culture, I am easily convinced to want their food.  Thus, the temptation of the Cuban and my resolve to learn how to make homemade tortillas.  We will see how long this resolve lasts.

When I got home, I could smell the cumin and other spices before I even opened the door, as Evie was making Madhur Jaffrey's amazing cauliflower soup for our lunches.  Yum.  It needed to cook for about forty five minutes, so Evie decided it was time to 'clean me up', which means trimming my beard and cutting my hair.  She has done this for the past forty five years.  It takes about fifteen minutes and I look young again, or so I think, and I am presentable for the next two or three weeks.

After my haircut, we watched Jon Stewart, had a lunch of a quesadilla and soup before it was time to relax on the couch, read and take a nap, the good life.  About 3:30, I buckled up my ski boots and went out for an hour, cross country skiing. I braved the wind through the campground to the beginning of Whitney Bay, then skied out on to the lake, and headed back to Woodlawn, with the wind at my back.  What a difference.  I then skied up into the Victoria woods, down through Woodlawn, to pick up the mail, then home, to relax with a glass of wine before dinner.
Afternoon Sky, Looking North, While Skiing
Amazing Late Afternoon Clouds
 For dinner, we had the mushroom pasta from last night, along with an Italian sausage and an Evie size salad with homemade blue cheese dressing, easy and good.  We couldn't wait to watch TV because we had Parenthood from last night as well as four more episodes of The American from Netflix.  It's nice to have something to look forward to watching in the evening.  I don't know what we would do if we had to watch regular TV.  It would be a boring evening without cable and Netflix. We decided to binge on The Americans and watched four episodes, so I could get the DVD in the mail this morning, getting another DVD by Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...