Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Snowy Morning On A Freshly Frozen Lake

\\
A Lake Begins To Freeze,  Monday at 12:15
8:11
I slept in until 7:20, with just a a few coughing jags during the night.  We  got another inch or so last night of snow and the lake, which was open yesterday morning, froze by the afternoon, after a period of jelly like waves, and is now snow covered, all this in less than twenty four hours. It makes me want to pull out the cross country skis and go but that would not be a good idea yet, not till the ice thickens. It's a frigid 7º this morning, wow, what a change from Sunday's 50's.  More snow forecast, an inch or two, same for the rest of the week.

Yesterday morning I was able to see the doctor in Mayville.  Since I was to have a physical on Friday, they combined it with my visit on Monday.  After what I thought was a cursory check up, he decided all my problems are allergy/sinus related and gave a steroid spray for my nose.  Let's hope he is right.  I think because I look healthy, and am such a contrast to most of his patients, as he tells me, he just skims over me and assumes because I look healthy I am healthy. Anyways, it was a fine way to waste a morning but at least we were able to do some grocery shopping in Mayville at Tops, picking up the usual necessities, milk, eggs, salad, and vegetables.

We came home and relaxed before Evie made some packaged matzo ball soup which is quite good.  It really hit the spot, especially with toasted cheese sandwiches, with jam, the way I like it.  The rest of the afternoon, neither one of us did much, other than listen to the radio, read, watch some TV, and take a nap.  Not too exciting for our first full day back at the lake.  I was still having occasional coughing spells, very frustrating, but it takes a while for the medicine to have an effect, up to a week the doctor suggested.  I hope I notice a change today,

Evie made me a special dinner, Ina Garten's chicken and biscuits, one of my favorites, so we both were very happy, enjoying the rich, fluffy biscuits, with chicken and gravy.  The biscuits were especially good this time, a result of buttermilk I think.  We then watched Downton Abbey but wished we had watched the last two episodes from last year as we had forgotten what was going on and it took us a while to get up to speed.  We also watched the first episode of The Americans, which we heard was quite good, about a sleeper Russian couple living in the US.  So far, I like it.  And we watched another episode of Getting On, which we started watching before the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...