Monday, January 5, 2015

A Homecoming Of A Morning White Out

8:20
Up at 7:20 and I can just barely make out the lake, a result of snow and fog.  Our trees rise majestically in the gray, the only dark in an otherwise white/gray sky.  I can hear the wind howling off in the distance and it's cold 17º, after reaching in the 50's yesterday afternoon.  I slept better last night, didn't cough as much, but I hope to get to the doctor today, as a cold symptoms have now arrived.  This is the first time I have been sick in many years and I had forgotten how little fun it was.

We left Darien yesterday in the dark, snow on the ground, neither one of us feeling very good, me with a headache and cough, and Evie had a bad night sleeping.  So, a seven hour drive was the last thing we wanted to do, but we were off, driving through rain, sleet, some snow, and heavy fog in the Catskills.  Fortunately, the roads did not seem icy though we did notice one or two cars off the road, perhaps from earlier in the morning.  We switched driving whenever we got tired and I started to feel much better after popping a few Advils every couple of hours.  So despite the weather early, we made good time and were not miserable the whole trip.  And the shocker, when we entered Chautauqua County, the land of gray winter skies, it was sunny with blue skies, no doubt welcoming us home to the lake.  We got home around 2:30, just about the average drive from Darien, and quickly unpacked and got settled.

We have been on the road a bit in the last three months, to Kansas City in September, Maine and points East in October, Chicago and Kansas City for Thanksgiving, and Virginia and  Connecticut for the holidays.  It's time to stay put for a couple of months, a winter hibernation, like a couple of old bears.

We did little when we got home other than to unpack, put away our clothes and goodies, and then relax until a dinner of hot dogs and beans, which tasted darn good, comfort food I suppose.  We  or I should say I watched quite a bit of the NFL games though I fell asleep during the first half of the Cowboys game.  And our only decision of the evening was whether to watch Downton Abbey or The Good Wife.  We decided to save the Downton Abbey for tonight.

I was able to get a doctor's appointment in Mayville to deal with this cough so we will have to fight the bad weather this morning.  We had about five inches over night and more is expected this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...