Friday, December 12, 2014

Let It Snow

7:30
It's 7:20 and I have been up for a half an hour.  It's just starting to get light, so I can just make out the opposite shore, can hear the howl of the wind.  It's 29º out, no snow at the moment, in fact, we have not had much in the last twelve hours but over the past twenty four, we have had a foot or more.  The winter advisory is supposed to end sometime this morning.  When I went outside to take a photo, the ice on the shore line was cracking, sounding like someone was breaking a glass.

Yesterday was not the day to be out on the roads because of the snow, but I was out twice, first to yoga in the morning.  It was slow going, safe as long as you took your time, but there were a couple of idiots passing me on the road, unaware of traffic ahead, in a hurry.  I expected to see them in a ditch when I rounded the curve but they were lucky.  Class was small for a Thursday, seven of us because of the snow.  I needed a coffee after class, to keep me company on my way home, on roads still snow covered and slippery.  When I got home, Evie was out clearing our parking space, so I helped her for about fifteen minutes, then pulled the car in.  It actually felt good to be outside, shoveling snow for the first or second time this year.  Perhaps we did it a couple of weeks ago when we had some snow.

It was the kind of day where you wanted to just stay inside, watch it snow, stay warm and comfortable in your house.  I had leftover lemon meatballs and rice for lunch, and we watched Stewart and Colbert before I read some, fell asleep briefly, then read some more.  I am reading a new book The Amateur Spy, set in both Greece and the Middle East.  So far, it's decent.  Evie had another appointment with the dentist in Jamestown, so we made the mistake of not canceling it and drove into town.  We went via #86, the interstate, thinking it would be better, the road cleared.  Wrong. Still snow covered and lots of trucks passing on the left side.  Jamestown was slushy, lots of traffic but most people were taking their time.  Evie was quick so we were back on the road, heading via #394, through Lakewood at 4:30.  The roads were still bad, worst around Ashville, as some cars had trouble making it up the hills, sliding and stopping traffic. It was not a fun forty five minutes, the worst driving I can remember in three or four years.  Usually, we just stay home when the weather is like this.

We were happy to get home, to stay inside, and not have to venture out again.  I had read about an interesting way to age a steak.  So Evie took a couple of steaks on Tuesday, rubbed them with Thai fish sauce, and put them in zip lock bags, then put them in the refrigerator for up to three days.  It's supposed to age and give the steaks flavor.  I cooked them outside on the grill, as it snowed, brought them in after seven minutes, and they were the best steaks we have had in quite awhile.  I am not sure if the aging and marinating had anything to do with it, but we will do it again.

We watched a movie called The One I Love which I will not try to summarize; it starred Elizabeth Moss from Mad Men, about a couple trying to save their marriage, who go off to a private resort only to find another couple who are their doubles.  We stayed with it only to see if we could figure out what was going on. We didn't.

This morning, I have breakfast with the boys in twenty minutes, then off to the Honda dealer in Jamestown, as a plastic shield, under my Pilot, fell off yesterday as we were driving home.  Just what I need, another car bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...