Saturday, December 13, 2014

Ice Storm and Crunch Of Snow


7:10
Morning Canadian Geese

Yesterday's Morning Ice On Long Point 
It' 7:00, another gray day, foggy, colorless, a black and white photo,  perhaps some drizzle.  It's 31º, no snow predicted, just a day of blah weather.  Maybe yoga will brighten up the day.

Yesterday was a bit of a shock when I went out to get in my car.  It was 'ice cubed', covered with a thin layer of ice, roof, windows, sides, even locks though I was able to open the door and start the engine.  It took me a good ten minutes for the car to warm up the windows enough so I could start chipping away.  By 8:10, I had enough of a view and the ice was beginning to melt, so that I could drive safely across the bridge to breakfast at the Bemus Point Inn.  None of my friends had problems because they all have garages, to keep their cars snug, warm, and iceless!  The main topic was the one ripping through the Chautauqua Institution, the building of a new amphitheater.  Suddenly or at least loudly, preservationists have stepped up complaining about the loss of a historic building.  I cannot say I have much sympathy for them since this project has been going on for three or four years, with lots of input and information for the public.  But I can understand why some don't like change, like us when they wanted to build an eight story hotel at Tom's Point.  We really don't want any change around the lake, even Webb's new project is something I wish would go away.  I don't think these voices will have much effect as the plans are in, and they have a few million to go before they get started.
Yesterday Morning's Threatening Clouds
Buffleheads
After breakfast, I came home for an hour, read some of my novel, then drove off to Jamestown to the car dealer to see about the plastic shield that fell off of my car during yesterday's snowstorm. Fortunately, they were able to fasten it back on, saving me at least some money by not having to order a new part.  It still cost me fifty in labor, would have been seventy five in Erie I suppose so I should be happy.  The afternoon went quickly so around 4:00, I went for a walk in the woods, not realizing how difficult it was to walk when the snow has a crust of ice.  I would sink in up to my ankles after breaking the crust, rough on the knees and tiring.  I cut my walk short as a result, walked some on the road but it was icy, to I was out for only thirty minutes.
Icy Crust of Shore Line
Woodlawn
We both showered around 5:00, as we were heading off for a fish fry at the Rod and Gun since the roads were fine and Evie was tired of cooking.  We like Friday nights, as its always busy, perhaps too much so because we often have to wait and hour or more for a table.  As expected,  when when we got to the the Rod and Gun, it was packed, all three lots, the bar packed two or three deep, two to three hundred people, either eating or drinking.  We ordered a couple of drafts, watched the guy next to us spend at least a hundred dollars to finally win a hundred.  Luckily, we were seated within forty five minutes, perhaps a bit longer, and once you are seated, dinner is quick.  We ordered fish fries, had both within five minutes.  They were great, nice and hot, just the way we like it, with fries and coleslaw.  It almost feels guilty when you get a check for $19.25.  Even leaving a 25% tip seems too little.  We arrived around 6:00, were on our way home by 8:00, no lingering as there are people waiting to sit down once you leave.
A Bustling Rod and Gun
An 8.99 Fish Fry---Yum
We ended up watching a couple of episodes of a British series called Last Tango in Halifax.  It's amusing, a little extreme at times, about love late in life.  We will continue with it I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...