Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Gray With A Slash Of Pink

7:17

7:42
It's 7:30 and I have been up for over an hour.  I was so intent on reading on my computer that when I looked up,  I was surprised by color in the Southeastern sky. Amazing how exciting that was after a week of only gray skies, lake, and lots of fog.  As you can see from the photograph, it extends from Wells Bay, to Tom's Point, to Bemus, as the sun struggles to rise.  It's 36º with rain forecast on and off during the day.  The grass is beginning to appear once again, as it warms up, rains, and the snow melts.  We will be out raking twigs tomorrow unless it snows again.
Fishing In The Morning
Yesterday was foggy most of the day, as the temperatures lingered in the 30's.  Driving to yoga, I had to take my time as the fog was heavy, a huge mass hanging over the lake as well as other parts of the area.  Class was not as crowded as usual, the fog perhaps.  Last week, when the studio opened, I gave Danielle, the owner, a small evil eye to hang, bringing her studio good luck, keeping the evil eye away, a Turkish tradition.  So yesterday, when I walked in, hanging above the studio door was the evil eye.  She seemed excited which was neat.
Stillness Just Before Dusk
When I got home, Evie was busy with my computer, organizing some of our pictures, picking out some of the best from the past few years, to make a book eventually or use for a Christmas card.  She has found a website where you can hand write a note, send it along with a photo or card to the website, and they will make a card for you as well as mail it. Cool.  So she has been busy doing that, sending cards to a selected few, mostly friends, not family because we see them often.

In the afternoon, once again, I had a doctor's appointment, one of those you don't look forward to and don't much discuss!  Everything is fine, enshallah, but it seems as though my life is measured in doctor's appointments and car appointments, not quite what I expected in retirement.  In fact, this morning, after yoga, I am getting my Honda Pilot serviced, oil changed, fluids topped, so that it's ready for a trip to Virginia and Connecticut for Christmas and New Years.  After the doctor,  I stopped at Peterson's, a local vegetable stand which is open until Christmas and picked up some vegetables, red licorice twists, and boxes, to add to Evie's collection for mailing.  I also stopped at the Smith Library to pick up a book I have been trying to get for months, the biography of John Wooden (WOODEN: A COACH'S LIFE), the famous coach of UCLA's basketball team for twenty seven years.

When I got home, I took it easy, finished The Amateur Spy and picked up the Dept, Of Speculation, which I had started reading a couple of days ago.  Evie was busy finishing up her baking, wrapping some things, gathering more photographs from over the years.  She loves sitting on the couch and going through pictures of the grandchildren from the past ten years. Nothing like sitting around enjoying photographs of the grands if you cannot be with them.

For dinner, Evie grilled some Italian sausage and made a simple but really interesting pasta sauce called Burro Russo, butter, sage, milk and tomato paste, then stirred into pasta. With another salad with the tahini dressing, we had another fine dinner.  We caught up on our two favorite TV shows, Showtime and The Affair, but neither were very satisfying for the penultimate episodes.  They seemed to be filling time with the mundane and we wonder how both will pull together all the threads in the final episode.  I went up to read at 10:00, finished, finally, the Dept of Speculation, which I did not much like and started the Wooden book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...