Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Blizzardy and Blustery Morning


7:45
Waves Crashing As It Snows
Sorry my blog is so late but I was having problems with Aperture, where I store my photographs and had to wait for it to repair itself until after yoga.  Mea culpa.  I mistakenly disconnected the external hard drive, where I store my photographs, without shutting down Aperture. And I know all those who read my blog daily, probably two or three of you, are anxious to hear what time I got up...a spoiler alert: 7:45.

It's 8:15 and there's a heavy snow fall coming down, a southeasterly wind, which is unusual.  It's still blurry out as a result and I cannot make our either Wells Bay or Long Point.  We both woke to the honks of Canadian geese, despite the fact that parts of the lake are frozen though not in front of our house, mostly up at the south end of lake.  And, when I went out on the front porch to take the typical morning photograph, I heard strange sounds, and realized it was waves breaking on the shallow area of the lake, two doors down from us even though there's not much wind.  It looks like we have gotten four or five inches overnight, three to five more this morning.

Not much different yesterday, yoga in the morning with Jen, a good class, a new guy, and a couple of the regulars.  We talked Jen into taking the Saturday morning class which had been cancelled because we all enjoy her classes.  When I got home, Evie had been busy, making a batch of my sister Linda's famous sloppy joes to freeze and the makings for tacos, the meat sauce, which she put first in a food processor before cooking, the way Mexican restaurants do it.

Luncheon at Smith Library
For lunch, I decided to be a good boy and went to  support the Smith Library at the Chautauqua Institute by attending their annual holiday luncheon.  I hadn't realized there were so many people around, as the streets were crowded with cars, the library tables and steps packed with mostly people my age enjoying a lunch of cold cuts, potato salad and a green salad.  I helped myself to a sandwich and potato salad, did some browsing, then talked to a couple of people, though I only knew one person, one of my breakfast buddies who works at the CI, Jack Voelker.  It always amazes me how, despite the fact we have been coming to this area for thirty four years, have been retired up her for five, how few people we know.  It feels the same way when we go to the Rod and Gun on Friday nights when its crowded.  We often don't know a single soul unless we come with friends.

After lunch, Evie relaxed after a busy morning in the kitchen and I finished my book, REDEPLOYMENT, which won the 2014 National Book Award for best novel.  It was a fast read, hard at times because of the subject matter, but a must for those who have know idea what it's like to have fought in Iraq, and returned home, to life as normal.  Around 5:00, we decided to be wild and crazy and ventured out in the wilds of Chautauqua, drove six miles to Webbs, for a beer in their cozy pub.  We were the only ones there, but got to know the bartender, Dylan, who lives in Cassadaga, has been working at Webb's for nine years, since he was 14 busing tables.
Enjoying A Beer At Webb's
For dinner, we had tacos, covered with lots of stuff, cheese, lettuce, taco sauce and sour cream, and with a pepsi, of course, I was a happy boy.  We watched the usual, Stewart and Colbert, then some Shark Tank, before going up to bed around 10:30.

Not sure what today will bring because of the weather.  I am going to have to go outside and clean off my car if I want to go to yoga, as the snow keeps falling.  Yippee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...