Thursday, July 18, 2013

Morning Haze and Heat Redux



6:10
Another close morning, as the humidity and haze are apparent even this early, at 5:50.  It's warmer this morning, 72º and the expected high is 84º.  The sun has already risen as  I write this, high in the sky and I am beginning to feel it's warmth on the porch.  Ugh!  This is not my kind of weather...give me a cold, snowy winter morning.
Belgium Waffles and Dale's Maple Syrup

Yesterday, despite the heat and a high of 89º, was a fun day with Linda and Rich.  It began with an Evie specialty, Belgium waffles with pearl sugar, tiny bebe sized globes of sugar.  She made the batter the night before, with yeast, to let it rise.  We sat outside, around 9:30, for the waffles, with bits of sugar in the waffle, and maple syrup made by my good friends, Dale Conly and Mac, who live in New Hampshire.  Before our trip annual trip to Wegman's, I wanted to work up a sweat, with a quick kayak paddle to Long Point and back.  On the way back, I was stopped by the Sheriff for not having a life jacket.  What an irony.  They are rarely if ever on the lake, seem to do nothing positive or helpful, but stop me on a Wednesday morning for not having a life jacket.  Well, I apologized, said I always wear one, which I do, and started paddling home to get it before they could decide whether to give me a ticket.  So, I guess I will wear my jacket, knowing the fuzz are on alert on the lake, keeping it safe from law breakers like me.
The Wegman's Jam Man and Admirer

We went to Wegman's mostly because my brother in law picks up Wegman's famous jam for his kids in Euclid.  He literally cleaned off the shelf, getting lots of looks from customers and the cashier.  We also made a quick stop at Evans for libations.  We also decided to pick up some ground chuck, corn, and pea meal bacon at the Lighthouse, so we would not have to go out later.  Back home by 1:00, so Evie grilled some Sahlen hot dogs, and along with some barbecued beans, we had lunch, out side again in the shade of the trees.

Linda and Rich Crusin'
After a two hour hiatus during a warm afternoon(the thermometer reached 89º), of reading and napping, all of us went  out on the dock for a refreshing swim and, fortunately, the water was great, clear and cold, unlike the day before.  Because it was so pleasant in the water, I dunked both of my kayaks, cleaning them both inside and out.  All of us really enjoyed swimming and sitting on the dock but around 5:30, we piled in the boat and took another cruise up the lake, to the Chautauqua Institute, to view the Purell House which, unfortunately, was hidden by trees.  We then went over to the Viking Club, parked our boat, and showed Linda and Rich around ' our other club.'  I bought a pitcher of Labatts and we sat out side at a picnic table, enjoying the late afternoon sun.
Enjoying A Beer At The Viking Club

We were home by 7:30 and my sister Linda had made, earlier in the day, one of our favorite shrimp dishes, Asian shrimp, cooked shrimp in a sauce of mayo, sliced red onions, and lemon juice.  The shrimp is best if drenched in mayo, onions and lemon juice.  It is amazingly good, something our family has been making for, dare I say it, 35 years.  Around 8:00, I grilled some burgers and Evie cooked some local corn and about 8:30, we sat outside at dusk, enjoying our dinner.  It was perfect night to sit outside, the burgers and corn were great, and we ended the day with a fudgesicle, taking all of us back to our childhood.  What a great day.
Late Dinner At Fresco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...