Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Beautiful Saturday Morning

6:00

The Fish Stories Continue
It's 6:00, and I am sitting on my porch, yes, and the sky and lake are amazing, all shades of gray and pink, windless though there are a few ripples and not a soul anywhere in sight, either in the yards or on the lake.  Where are all the fishermen on this Saturday morning?  I should jump in my kayak but I want to drink my coffee, do some reading on my computer,  then perhaps head out.

Yesterday, a Friday, seemed like a Sunday for some reason, perhaps because all our days when retired seem like weekends.  I decided to skip yoga, relax in the morning, so Evie and I went off kayaking fairly early, though it was overcast, hoping to get a paddle in before the rains.  There were a few fishing boats out but much  traffic on the lake, in fact all day, as if the 4th of July-ers had already headed home, thus our thinking it was a Sunday.

We did not do much post July 4th, a wasted day according to Evie, a good day according to me, which is why we complement each other so well, I do the relaxing, Evie does the working! Some what true but not entirely, as I occasionally get up off my couch, chaise lounge, whatever.  Yesterday, however, Evie did spend most of the day outside, either on the dock, fishing, or in the water, cutting weeds.  I alternated between the dock, reading, and watching some of Wimbledon on TV.  The tennis  reminded me of the weekends when my parents would come to the lake.  They always loved to watch tennis and if it was the 4th of July, they watched Wimbledon, if it was Labor Day, it was the US Open.

Friday was one of those strange weather days, the kind we have had the past week or so.  Threatening rain clouds seem to be everywhere, off to the north or south, rain seems imminent, and then it clears up.  Or you can be sitting on the dock, enjoying the sun and within minutes, we rush inside to avoid the rain, which stops within five minutes, and it's sunny again.  I have to admit I don't mind this; we always need the rain and for the most part, it mostly threatens, rarely rains for long so we can be outside, relaxing or doing something most of the time.  About 5:30, we had a beer on the dock, commenting on how quiet the lake seemed, as if everyone was heading home for dinner.  We went in about 7:00 and Evie made up one of our favorite vegetarian meals, Saag Paneer, a spicy Indian spinach dish, with browned squares of paneer cheese.  It's an amazing dish, and with some leftover chicken, noodles, and a salad, we had more than enough.  We ate outside, to a quiet lake, wondered where all the bats have gone as we have not seen any this summer.
Turkish dervishes and Tea Cups

We started watching a new series, Nurse Jackie, recommended by our daughter Beth.  We watched the first two or three episodes a couple of years ago, but forgot about it, as summer and family took over.  So far, we like it though some of the patients, their problems, seem far out and the hospital itself makes you want to avoid getting  sick if these are the kinds of people who will treat you.  Two of the first few patients die because of doctor misdiagnoses.  O, yea, a piece of lemon meringue  pie ended a good evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...