Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Very Early Morning On The Lake

5:15


6:15
 Unfortunately, I am up at 4:45 and could not get back to sleep, my thoughts took over, so I arose at 5:10 and am now out on my porch, a chilly, 57º compared to yesterday, so I am wearing a jacket. The sky over Long Point is mostly clear, a changing pink to rose color but off towards Mayville are dark clouds, the same towards the south and Jamestown. Today sounds like the perfect day after all the rain and humidity the past few days, sunny with a high of 71º.  It is now almost 6:00 and a pontoon boat from next door just glided out, quietly, no roars of a motor, which is great.
Evie and Isabelle
We were both up early yesterday, enjoyed a leisurely couple of hours before working on one of my closets upstairs, the kind where I stack every thing I own that I might want in the future.  You know the kind.  Well, I now have a large bag of garbage, mostly papers I no longer need, junk from teaching, and the closet and bedroom are now ready for one of our kids and their families.  While I went to yoga, Evie worked on Part II of the photo album, picking out the final hundred or so photos, making sure she has fairly equal numbers of pictures of each family, in other words, not too many pictures of one family, too few of another.  It is not easy, plus we like pictures from people who have visited over the summer, so it represents more than just our family, but the summer of 2012.  This is the fifth or sixth album Evie has put together.  Each year she vows to do it during the winter but puts it off until mid summer, when it has to get done.  We all need pressure to get things done.

After a good yoga class, I stopped at Walmart, picked up a couple of plastic chaise lounge chairs which may last he summer, though they have a sticker proudly proclaiming that they were made in the USA.  I also bought a new, larger wheel barrel, as mine of some 30 years has rusted through, the tire no longer functional.

The afternoon for me was typical, some reading, a nap, for Evie, she cut the lawn and then took off about 4:00 to print the remaining pictures at Walmart.  While she was gone, I put together the wheel barrell, sweating like a pig because of the humidity and vague directions for a wheel barrel.  Who would think putting together a wheel barrel would be hard.  It took me a good hour but it now carries sea weeds comfortably.
Late Afternoon Storm

Around 5:30, I jumped in the lake, dripping with sweat from my wheel barrel ordeal, just beating the thunder and lightning. And for about a half hour, we had a vicious rain storm, replete with thunder and lightning, one flash of lightning hitting the water between Woodlawn and Long Point, the crack nearly knocking me out of my seat.  Fortunately, Evie was still at Walmart, so she missed most of the storm and driving home was no problem.
Evie, With Pat Jones and Joyce Leonard

in The Jones Kitchen

Dave, with Abby and Libby

At 6:00, we went over to the Dave and Pat Jones's home for dinner, and the Leonard's were also invited.  Because of the rain, we sat inside for our appetizers and wine, played with their two dogs, white, stocky, short, with endessly wagging tails.  For dinner, Pat made ham rolls with a cream sauce, a pasta salad, and vegetables, with cookies for dessert.  I have never had nor heard of a ham roll but it was great, especially with lots of cream sauce.  We stayed till about 9:15 when all of us went home, excited about the cooling night, great for sleeping.
Sunset 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...