Friday, July 19, 2013

Already An Uncomfortably Warm Morning (Strong Winds Late in Day)

6:10
Rich and Linda Holzheimer
Well, it's been a warm morning, the warmest so far, as it was 74º inside when I got up, 75º outside.  At the moment, it sunny with some haze but late in the day, they expect winds to pick up and storms may come in.

Yesterday was a wasted day for me, as I spent a good part of it in Erie, getting my car fixed.  The bright side, it was all under warranty despite the car being 13 years old.  We started the day with a great breakfast with Linda and Rich, pea meal bacon from the Lighthouse, fried eggs, and everything bagels from Wegman's.  It was nice enough to eat outside, so all our meals the past couple of days have been al fresco despite the heat.  They left for Euclid, a two hour ride, about 10:30 and, unfortunately, the drive took three hours because of construction on Interstate # 90 in Ohio.   Not a fun way to end a brief trip.  Nonetheless, it was a busy but fun couple of days, making us wonder why we don't do it more often.  They will stop here in a couple of weeks, when our kids are here, after a weekend in Saratoga Springs.
A Breakfast of Bagels and Pea Meal Bacon

We did some cleaning up after they left, but I had to leave for Erie by noon.  I waited over an hour for my car, stopped at Wegman's, got gas for my car and boat, and was home at 3:30, to a hot, humid afternoon on the lake.  Amazingly, Evie has just finished cutting the lawn in the heat and she was ready to jump in the lake to cool off.  I decided to go kayaking, to cool off, so I went down to the reeds, anchored my kayak, and fished in the water, as I walked among the sand and rocks, in water up to my chest, keeping me cool and refreshed.  I caught a couple of perch, but it was a good way to spend an hour on a hot day.  When I returned to the dock, Evie had just thrown a two and a half pound bass back into the lake, her biggest catch of the summer.  And I was not there to get a picture.
Bye Bye Chautauqua

It was surprisingly pleasant out on the dock, despite the sun and heat, so we sat out till 6:00, fishing and having a beer, jumping into the water when we got too hot.  We had dinner around 7:00, as I grilled a couple of burgers outside and Evie made a salad, a simple dinner after two days of feasting with my sister and brother in law.  It always feels good to eat simply after company, as if you are making up for all the eating and drinking from the past couple of days.  We watched The Daily Show and Colbert, then a couple of episodes of Nurse Jackie, the second season.  It does not seem as good as the first season so far.  And the first season ended with her overdosing, perhaps trying to commit suicide or so we thought and there is no mention of this in the new season, not even an allusion to it.  Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...