Sunday, July 7, 2013

First Sunday in July

6:00


Yoga Morning On The Dock
Up at 6:00 to a sun rising sun, surprise, after last night's rain and a quiet lake, not a boat until our neighbor's ski boat went by around 6:30, even no fishing boats that I can see or hear.  It's 67º after yesterday's hot and humid day.  I did find out one problem when I sit on the porch, early morning...the rising sun makes it difficult to read and write.  I am trying a baseball cap to see if that helps.  More later.

Yesterday was a great day on the lake, extraordinarily warm, with a high of 85º, almost too hot to be in the sun but everyone, neighbors, visitors, even us, spent most of the day out in the yard, the dock, the lake or the boat.  As I mentioned yesterday, it was a great sun rise, so after my coffee and blog, I was out on the lake for about an hour, from 7:15 to 8:15, mostly trying my luck at fishing but really just enjoying being on the lake so early.  Other fishermen had the same idea, so I was not alone like the day before.  When I paddled back, Evie and our neighbor, Kathy Leonard, had paddled off to Long Point as I intended on going to yoga.  It was the typical yoga with Chris, lots of talk, but I am used to it, and some of the Saturday regulars were there, and they seem to like the class.  I was home by 10:30, gathered the trash for my trip to the Transfer Station and I was lucky to find room in the trash bins, as everyone was getting rid of their 4th of July trash, filling all the receptacles.  I have never seen it quite so busy or full.

When I came home, Evie was out on the dock, fishing some before going upstairs to work on the bedrooms, getting them ready for the kids in a couple of weeks.  I decided to wash and vacuum the cars, a good way to stay cool and get something done.  We now have two clean cars, inside and out, until they get covered with sap from the willows and pines, something that happens every summer about this time.

Around 4:00, Evie, sensing it was going to rain last night, cut the lawn in the heat and humid of the day.  Needless to say, she was drenched in sweat by the time she finished, jumped in the lake to cool off, though the water is already losing the cold of spring.  I went kayaking and fishing while she cut the grass, cruising the docks, all the way down to Sandy Bottom, where I counted over 70 boats moored along the shoreline, many pontoon boats, with people standing in the water, talking, drinking beer and playing music.  I pity the neighbors who live along this shore line.
Dinner at the Rod and Gun Club

At 6:00, the Mc Clure's came over and we drove off to our club, The Rod and Gun, that is, for beers and prime rib in a nice air conditioned dining room.  We have not been there in six weeks at least, so it was good to get back there, even though it was so crowded we could not find a seat at the bar and we waited over 45 minutes for a table.  The meal was great, the best and cheapest prime rib in town, lots of happy people enjoying a Saturday night out.  Evie mentioned how amazing it was to go to the club, where at least a couple of hundred people are eating and drinking and we don't know any of them.  Most of the clientele are our age or older, with a few younger who might bring their families.  But like the Viking Club, the membership is primarily retirees.  We were home by 9:30, in time to watch one more episode of Nurse Jackie, read some, and go to bed in a warm, muggy bedroom, reminiscent of my boyhood bedroom, on a warm summer night on Lake Erie, with nary a breeze.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...