Monday, July 8, 2013

A Cloudy Monday, A Good Day For Cubans and Ruebens at the Viking Club


6:20
7:10


Another mostly gray and quiet morning on the lake, only birds, like gulls, martins, and crows invade the silence, the stillness of the lake.  At 6:00, not a boat on the lake,  at 7:30 I see two fishing boats, as all the weekenders have fled, to their homes and work.

Either I am losing it or our days are so much alike that I cannot tell one day from another.  I hope it's the latter.  A Sunday of rest, like the most of the week, we started it by going off kayaking early morning, with our fishing poles, hoping to bag a walleye or bass.  It was the first time for Evie, to fish off the kayak and she did amazingly well, in fact, much better than me, actually catching fish.  We tried various sweet spots but had little luck.  Evie, however, was really excited about it, so she rigged up an anchor, so she could moor her kayak in one of the many 'sweet spots,' and ended up catching a couple of nice bass.  In a conversation with local fisherman, she was told that the area in front of our house is the best spot on the lake for fish, according to his fish finder, which is why he spends so much time there.  That's good to know but don't pass the word.
Paddling  From Fishing

I spent a good part of the morning out in the lake, cutting weeds, just to get a head start.  So far, they are not bad, just a few areas which need cutting but I got enough to cover a good part of the dock, letting it dry, so we can put it in our compost pile.  I also rescued our neighborhoods, whose boat stalled while their son David and granddaughter were out fishing in Whitney Bay.  So I had a good morning or work and service, rare for me.  We spent the afternoon, relaxing, after all it was Sunday, me readings, watching some of the Wimbledon finals, Evie mostly fishing in her kayak.
Chautauqua Belle, Early Evening

About 4:30, we made the mistake of driving over to Bemus, to go for a walk along Lakeside Drive.  Bemus was a madhouse, because of a Beatles sound alike concert on the floating stage.  No parking, lots of people and noise, we almost went back home.  But we did walk, on a still humid afternoon, about half way down Lakeside and back, jumped in our car, happy to be home in our cosy neighborhood.

For dinner, Evie had earlier put together the dough for pasta, so she made a half of recipe of fettuccine, put together a sauce of tomatoes, garlic, basil, and Saint Andre cheese, mixed the noodles and sauce together and with a salad, had a great dinner. After dinner, we went back out on the dock, around 7:30, to try our luck fishing.  Evie, the wonder woman, caught at least six or seven bass and perch,  I caught a single puny perch.  I guess I better get used to being second best, again, or be more yoga like, "Breathe and repeat, "This is not a competition"!

Later, we tried to watch a 1960's movie called The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie but found it too silly and dated, set in a girl's boarding school in the 1940's.  It's interesting how modern my tastes and interests have become, especially in films and TV, as I have succumbed, I fear, to modernism, demanding instant gratification, relevance, lots of action, no long drawn out narratives, a true heir of Twitter and texting though I do neither.  Downton Abbey would be an exception I suppose because we do like it quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...