Tuesday, June 18, 2013

An Arizona Like Morning Sunrise

5:40

6:00



Up at 5:40 and I am excited to be up early enough to see the sun rise over the lake.  We are getting close to the longest day of the year, so it rises at 5:41 but it did not peak out of the clouds until 6:00.  It's 59º outside, a chance of thundershowers, in fact, the clouds are dark and threatening behind our house, but otherwise, it's supposed to be another sunny day.  Well, we just had a rain shower, lasted about ten minutes.
Kayak Morning

We did kayak yesterday morning, early, out on the lake by 7:15.  It was a glorious morning and I wanted to get out on the lake before heading off to yoga.  It always amazes us how the lake becomes so empty during the week.  We felt like the only people on the lake, like early spring or late fall, as the weekenders were home.  The lake was calm, hardly a ripple, as we padded toward the sun, rising above the tip of Long Point.  As we rounded the point, a few guys were fishing, up early like us, enjoying the morning.  We were out about an hour, skimming along the coast line, watching for any sign of wild life, often seeing kingfishers, even a raccoon, walking along the water's edge at Long Point, looking for food.  We came home, had our breakfast on the dock, fished some, then I came in to get ready for yoga.  Class was smaller than usual, all women of course, talking about cooking, kitchens, and cabinets.  I chipped in, to show I was not just a dumb jock but someone who also knew about kitchens.  Class was more difficult, a couple of poses which I had trouble with, especially when I have to sit on my heels and try to bend backwards on a bolster...it does not work for me.  I then went to Sam's Club, for a free tire rotation, then a brief stop at Wegman's and home.  It seems impossible not to shop some where each day.  Today I take my car in because one of the warning lights came on, probably another two or three hundred bucks if I am lucky.
A Beautiful Morning on The Lake

Rocky Raccoon

Because it was such a glorious day, the kind of June day we always remember, sunny but not hot, with a breeze, we spent most of the afternoon out on the dock.  I read, Evie sun bathed, and we both went swimming, very cold to begin with but once we were used to it, the water felt good.  I forgot to mention that we found two or three bird eggs on our dock, broken but not eaten and are not sure how they got there, either by a predator or a martin or sparrow.  Puzzling.  We did see a turkey buzzard buzz our martin house a couple of days ago.  Let's hope they have not discovered the martins, like the owls and hawks have in the past.   They are such ugly birds and have become more prevalent in this area in the last couple of years.  We also think we saw a bald eagle, circling the area, with its white head and have heard there is a nest nearby, not good news for the purple martin babies.

We had our wine out on the dock, as the long day waned (the name of one of my favorite trilogies set in Thailand).  A few Amish next door and that was about it for the lake action.  We had some Castello  cheese, a brie with veins of blue cheese, so amazing on a pepper and olive oil Triscuits that it seems sinful.  Evie made salmon on garlic spinach for dinner, along with a salad and baked potatoes, so we enjoyed this as we caught up on two current series, Mad Men and The Killing.

I have to take my car in today at 8:00 so I have to be on my way in less than an hour.  I usually drop it off, walk into Jamestown, have breakfast somewhere, go to the Prendergast Library, then hopefully, my car will be done.  And we are starting to get ready for our trip to Virginia, to visit Jill and family.  We are leaving on Thursday, won't be back till next Tuesday most likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...