Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A EARLY MORNING SURPRISE...SUNSHINE

6:05


An Empty Dock, Mostly Cloudy Afternoon Sky
 I awoke at 6:00, to a light filled bedroom, as the sun had just risen over Long Point.  I got up quickly, went out on the front porch with my camera, hoping to get the rare picture of a sunny morning here at the lake!  In fact, it is supposed to be a nice day, with a slight chance of a shower, but tonight and tomorrow, the rains return.
A Lost Duck?

It's now 8:30 and I just returned from kayaking; I was on the lake by 7:15, a spectacular morning to be out paddling, sunny, windless, the lake like glass, a number of bass boats out enjoying the early morning cool.  I kayaked over to Long Point, fished for about fifteen minutes, then went across to Wells Bay, worked my way back to Woodlawn, occasionally stopping to cast my line.  Few follows, one sun fish but I was happy just being on the water.

Yesterday, Tuesday, was another miserable, wet, over cast morning perfect for yoga, as I ran into the studio through rain, just like the day before.  And surprise, class had six newcomers, all young women, probably just returned from college, so Chris, our teacher, was very excited.  Unfortunately, our routine was not one of my favorites, no bending at the waist, no stretching the ham strings, and he did not do yoga nidra, the one part of his classes that most people really like.  So, I doubt if the group will return because of the class.  While I was at yoga, Evie baked a pie crust and is currently putting together a fresh strawberry pie.  We also made black bean soup before I went off to yoga so it was a busy morning for Evie.
A Clearing Up Tuesday Afternoon
We took it easy in the afternoon, Evie going in to Mayville for a yearly physical and some shopping at Topps, and I stayed home, did some reading, and finally took my usual Woodlawn/Victoria woods walk.  I have not taken it since early spring when the paths were still brown, and the only green was the beginning shoots of skunk cabbage.  It always surprises me how green the trail gets, how overgrown the path and woods have become, a result no doubt of the rains the past few weeks.  I had to fight my way through knee high growth near the Woodlawn Creek, through a skunk cabbage patch, and up the muddy hill to get on the Victoria part of the trail.  It felt good to be back on this familiar way, like an old friend, I suppose.  And like the lake, it always looks different, depending on both the amount of sunlight and season.  I talked with John Johnson on my way back along the lake.  He was out pounding  poles into the lake for his boat.  And Joe Bergen was in his front yard, digging up a patch for annuals.  It did clear up a bit late afternoon, thus the neighbors were out enjoying the respite from the rains.

An Overgrown Kinney's Run
For dinner, Evie put together one of my favorite pastas, one we started making in Turkey, home of hundreds of eggplant recipes,  a home made chunky tomato sauce with eggplant, served over pasta.  We used the famous canned San Marzano tomatoes, but I am not sure I could tell the difference.  After dinner, we decided to get some exercise, walked up to the top of Woodlawn Road and back home, a nice night for a walk, and we even worked up a sweat as it was humid.  We then watched Stewart and Colbert, some of the NBA game, raced through The Voice, and then went upstairs to read and go to bed.  I am almost finished with Claire Messud's THE WOMAN UPSTAIRS.  More on that book later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...