Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Ah Chautauqua Gray

7:40

Woodlawn/Kinney's Run



Late afternoon Storm Clouds

Up late, around 7:35, to looming, even ominous clouds over the lake, the shore line.  It's much cooler this morning, about 43 degrees but I think it's supposed to clear up later, at least I hope so. Yesterday, we started the day with a pleasant walk through the Woodlawn/Victoria woods, around 8:30, just as it was beginning to clear up.  It's mostly through woods, a path created by our neighbors and me in Victoria, a little over a mile, a great way to start the day.

Then, it was clean for the kitchen day for Evie, one of those days where she decided to spend the day washing down the entire kitchen, oiling the cupboards, and it looks amazing.  And we have so much in our cupboards that we never use, like most people, that they were cleaned out as well.  Meanwhile, as is my wont, I went to Lakewood, did some shopping for us, stopped at Ryder's Cup for coffee, read some on my computer, then went home for lunch.  Later in the day, I went to the CI library to pick up a couple of books.  I am inundated with books at the moment, as digital books and library books I have ordered have all arrived at once, and I have yet to finish the books I have been reading GONE GIRL AND HITCH 22.  What to do!

Late afternoon, I came up with the bright idea of another road trip, this time to State College, PA, to see another one of my student's play in a band called the MUTTS.  He has been at it for at least five years at least, living in Chicago, playing all over the US.  We will leave early Wednesday, drive to the Kinzua State Park, and hike and walk their Sky Way, an amazing reconstructed railroad bridge, at one time the tallest in the US.  Then we will drive to Cooks Forest for lunch and a longer hike of a couple of hours around the Ancient Forests in the Park.  These are mostly virgin forests with trees up to three or four hundred years old and tower some two hundred feet.  I have always wanted to go there, hike the trails, so this is a perfect opportunity.  We will drive to State College in late afternoon, check in our Hampton, walk around some, go to dinner then see his show at the Dark Horse Tavern in downtown State College.  I have already communicated with Mike so we may meet him for dinner if it works out.  I am not sure what we will do Thursday, whether we will hike somewhere else or just head home.  Depends on the weather I suppose.

Last night, for dinner, Evie roasted chicken breasts, cauliflower and potatoes for dinner and we watched a really interesting movie, JIRO DREAMS OF SUSHI, a film about an 85  year old sushi master from Tokyo.  He owns and runs the only 3 star sushi restaurant in the world, a small counter that seats 9 people, costs about $300.00 a person, and it takes a month at least to get a reservation.  It interviews him, what it has taken to become a master---75 years of working everyday, ten to twelve hours a day, and  doing something you love.  The filmmakers, all Western, interview Jiro, his sons, his sous chefs,  and they take us also to the fish market, where Jiro gets his tuna. It's not only about food, but about greatness, dedication, love and hard work and iron discipline, what it takes to be the best at something.  I recommend it on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...