Sunday, August 23, 2026

Thunder, Lightning And Rain



6:49

7:15

8:38

It's 7:00, and I'm sitting on our front porch listening to it rain, with an occasional crash of lightning and thunder. Dark clouds are sliding by, and I'm hoping for a break so I might get in a paddle. A heron has been sitting on our dock, then dove into the lake, pulled out a small fish, and swallowed it whole. Breakfast. After a brief letup, it's thundering and pouring again, though it doesn't seem to have bothered the heron, who is still standing on my dock at 8:15.

Fishing

Itching

Bass Boat In The Rain

Saturday was another fine lake day, perfect for boating, and the lake was busy most of the day. I paddled for close to an hour early, before the boat traffic picked up, though at 7:00 the bass boats roared out of the marina as the tournament began. After the paddle, we relaxed, enjoyed our coffee, and finished the blog around 9:30. I had some breakfast, and around 10:00 we gathered the trash. I headed off to the transfer station, then to Wegmans to shop for tonight's dinner. Wegmans was crowded as usual on the weekends, but I was able to get in and out quickly. On my way home, I stopped and picked up some corn on Hunt Road, and had it for lunch along with a chicken pot pie. I watched my show, but it's getting silly — the main protagonist, a female mortician, has killed at least five people so far, most of them accidentally. Go figure.

I couldn't wait to get back to my book, Tana French's first Dublin Murder Squad novel, In the Woods, so I went upstairs, read, and napped for at least an hour. When I came downstairs, Evie was on the front porch nursing a headache, so I went out on the dock and read for a good hour. I loved it and don't know why I don't do it more. Neither of us did much the rest of the afternoon. Evie was feeling better by 5:00, when we had a glass or two of wine and enjoyed the lake as the clouds rolled in and the boat traffic thinned ahead of the coming storm.

Afternoon Sky

"Our House Is A Very Very Fine House"

For dinner, Evie made us burgers, along with a salad and corn, and we were happy. We watched another episode or two of ER before Evie went up to bed, and I watched the second half of the Indiana Fever's loss to the New York Liberty. It was a pretty good game, as both teams played well in front of a full house. Clark missed two free throws late and allowed her opponent to score six points on her down the stretch, which sealed it. She needs to improve her defense, since opposing teams take advantage of her — and she needs to stop complaining every time she thinks she's been fouled, or that she's fouled someone. I ended the night with my series, but was already looking forward to my book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...