Saturday, December 14, 2019

Weary And Dreary


7:43
It's 7:44 and I have been up since 6;00, avoiding reading about the impeachment, the theory that Boris Johnson's victory in Great Britain portends a Trump victory next fall.  Instead, I have been listening to my Bill Simmons, my go-to podcast.  He talks mostly sports, has interesting guests, with an occasional discussion of films.  It's 36º out, gray and wet with snow expected mid-afternoon if the temperature drops enough.  The duck hunters are also out, despite the rain and cold, the gunshots echoing up and down the lake.

Yesterday began early as I was having surgery on my arm at 8:30. We got to Roswell by a five-minute walk through hallways connecting the hospital with the hotel.  What I thought would take 15 minutes ending up taking an hour or more. It took a while to get ready, then the doc took his time, making sure not to hurry things which was fine.  He took a piece out my arm, the size of an anchovy filet.  We talked throughout the forty-five-minute procedure about both of our travels. He had recently been to Vietnam but was also interested in my travels in Turkey, Peru, South Africa, and the Far East.  I was happy to sit there and talk and watch him cut then sew up part of the wound.

Winter Corn Fields
After my procedure, we went back to the hotel and checked out.  I drove home through Buffalo and on Interstate 90 until we exited in Fredonia when Evie drove because I was getting weary.  We stopped at the Lighthouse Grocery, passing a couple of deer carcasses as we walked in the front door.  So far they have dressed 750 deer.  We ordered a submarine sandwich for lunch, four pounds of ground chuck and a pound of pork because Evie was going to make meatballs.  Because the pork chops looked so good, we ordered four of them for Sunday night dinner,

The Lake, The Lake
We were home by 12:30 and I was happy to sit in front of the TV, watch my show and enjoy the sub sandwich.  I was quite hungry because I  did not have any breakfast.  While Evie made up the meatballs and tomato sauce  (our daughter in law Mary's recipe), I took a great nap, tired probably from not sleeping well and the anxiety concerning the surgery.

Once the pasta sauce and meatballs were done, we took it easy, reading and watching some TV. For some reason, we started watching The Fugitive mid-way through and ended up watching it to the end while Harrison Ford, as Richard Kimbell, finally finds the one-armed man who killed his wife.  I still remember the sensation the murder of Sam Sheperd's wife caused in the Cleveland area as well as nationally.

Dinner was great, just like eating at Tom and Mary's in Kansas City, great meatballs and sauce,  We watched some junk TV before turning to our series, The Morning Show.  We watched two more episodes but saved the last episode for tonight,  And we were tired so we went up to bed earlier than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...