Sunday, March 31, 2019

A Spring White Morning

7:19
I slept in until 7:00 having stayed up until 11:30 watching the classic March Madness thriller, as Virginia beat Purdue in overtime.  What a thriller and neither team should have lost.  As you can see, we did get some snow overnight as the temperatures dropped from the '60s to the 20's in 12 hours.  Ah Chautauqua! The lake is a gray mass of floating ice and open water, constantly changing, with small islands of snow.

A Lake Of Floating Ice Floes
Yesterday was a carbon copy of the previous day, with both of us still suffering from colds, especially Evie who took a turn for the worst, coughing and feeling terrible although she has no temperature.  We just have to be patient and it too will pass but I don't like it.  Evie did sleep in till 8:00 but I was up to my usual, around 6:30.  The morning seemed to go on forever with nothing to do.  I finally set aside my computer and started to read some until it was time to gather the trash and drive off to the Transfer Station.  Thankfully, there was something I had to do.

Scavengers Are Back
Once that was done, Evie and I had some of her vegetable soup and I had a quesadilla with cheese, tomatoes, and avocados.  By the time we were through with lunch, I was tired of doing nothing so I read more about the narcos and fell asleep.  I did not dream of a Big Mac.  When I woke, Evie was watching an old noir, THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, so I watched most of it with her.  It's so dated, so overacted, at times silly, that it was almost funny yet a classic.  The rest of the afternoon went slowly, reading, watching some TV, waiting for dinner time and the start of the basketball games.

Evie passed on dinner and, fortunately, I just had to heat up the leftover Indian chicken and rice.  We watched another Bill Maher's Real Time, some Trading Spaces before settling in to watch basketball.  We watched most of the terrific first game between Texas Tech and Gonzaga, a nail biter down to the very end.  Then I stayed up and watched the Virginia/Purdue game, as good a college game as I have ever seen.  Lots of lead changes, great plays, amazing three-point shooting, a miracle shot to send the game into overtime, then an eventual winner, Virginia.  It's the first time all season that I have watched an entire game, college or NBA.  There's nothing like the Elite Eight games as I remind Evie every year because I played in one for Ohio University in 1964, beating Kentucky, then losing to Michigan.  Sorry for the bragging.

Ohio University Bobcats Elite Eight, 1964

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...