Sunday, October 16, 2016

Holz Clambake In Tee Shirt Weather


The Siblings, My Sisters Ellen And Linda
Cleveland At 7:30 AM
Sunrise At 7:40
Morning Moon
It's barely light and I have been up an hour.  I can hear the waves of Lake Erie as I sit in my sister's living room, enjoying the quiet as everyone is still sleeping after yesterday's great Euclid, Ohio, clambake.  In fact, the Cleveland area is supposedly the clambake capital of the US.  I know I have been going to them on and off for at least sixty five years.  My parents always had clambakes; we have had ones out at our Chautauqua house and my sister and brother in law have had them at their house for at least thirty five years if not more, keeping up my parents tradition.  It's 7:30 as I finish writing this.  I have just been outside taking photographs, of Cleveland off in the distance and a full moon rising, early morning, over Lake Erie.  Those who sleep in miss the best time of the day, sunrise!

My Sister Ellen, Husband Walt From Virginia
Yesterday morning was spent getting the house in order and packing for an overnight in Euclid for a clambake.  After my weekly drop off of trash at the Transfer Station, we left around 11:30 for the two hour ride, stopping at the Ohio state line for gas and a McDonalds meal.  We got to Euclid about 1:30, and my other sister Ellen and her husband Walt, from Herndon, VA were in town for the weekend, too.  So it was siblings weekend for the Davis family.

The BakeMaster, My Brother In Law, Rich, Sister Ellen
Most of the prep was already done but I helped my brother in law Rich get the bake ready, 45 bags of clams, chickens, corn and sweet potatoes.  Mostly family were invited with a few good friends, around 30 people I would guess counting all the grandchildren.  It was tee shirt weather all the way to sunset and beyond, an amazingly sunny and warm day, perfect for a clambake or any other activity.  We sat around catching up with my sisters and their families, waiting until we put the bake on at 4:00 for the first beer of the day, a must at a clambake.

My Sisters, Linda And Ellen, with Evie
Nephews Watching The Tribe Go Up 2-0
Nieces, Emily And Shea
Pouring Beer Into The Bake
Everyone starting arriving then, many stayed inside watching the Indians beat Toronto 2-1, to go up 2-0 in the series, a big thing in Cleveland.   Most of the adults sat outside, enjoying the view of Lake Erie, appetizers, waiting for the clam broth and clam chowder to be ready, the first course as it were.  Rich had built a huge brick fireplace, filled it with charcoal, so the bake was quick to boil and by 6:00, we were ready to eat.

Mother And Daughter

Nephews And Brother In Law
Nephew Pat, Daughter Claire, Friend, Katie
Around 5:00, we had taken out the chicken halves, so they could be grilled by my nephew Richie.  It was so pleasant we could all, thankfully, eat outside, some on the deck, overlooking the lake, the rest of us in the yard and on the patio.  The clams, chicken, and sweet potatoes, all part of the bake, were superb and everyone got their fill of clams as we had a bag or two leftover.  Sides of tomatoes, rolls, and potatoes complimented the meal, and for dessert, the Mayor made my Mom's cheesecake, topping each piece with a strawberry, a fitting end to our meal.

Euclid's Mayor, My Niece Kirsten, And Family

Dusk On The Deck
Face Timing Niece Julia, Husband, Hampton, From Denver
Nine Year Old Nephew, Owen, With Evie's Gift, From Treasure Chest
We sat outside talking, having coffee, Bailey's until it got dark, then most of the gang went home except for the six of us.  We sat around tired but unwilling to go up to bed, watching Ohio State come from behind and beat Wisconsin, a good day for Ohioans and Clevelanders.  Around 11:00, my nephew Richie  and his wife Sallie stopped over, so we had another highball before going up to bed around 12:00, the end to another great clambake on the shores of Lake Erie day.
6:30
6:40

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...