Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A Bruegel Like Morning Sky


7:26

7:30
A Rare Sighting (for us) of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet
It's a morning filled with a threatening sky, a gray cloud stacked on gray cloud, straight out of a Pieter Bruegel the Elder painting.  Our lake wall is buffeted by waves, the wind brisk and variable, the temperature a chilly 40º.

Monday was not typical, at least for me.  Evie had an easy morning for once, not worrying about dinner, doing what she wanted.  I started my morning with a good Yin yoga class although we once again worked on forward bends, not exactly my cup of tea but I persevered.  After class, I got my Monday coffee, said aloha to Joyce and Dave and talked to a couple who had been to a bizarre Halloween House in Buffalo where they were invited to shoot darts into the bare back of one of the guys.  He also walked on a bed of nails.  It was then on to Home Depot because I needed a dust filter for my lawn mower.  But since I was there, I looked at new Samsung Electric ranges since ours is on the fritz.  I knew Evie liked the idea of a double oven, so I brought home a description of that particular oven.  And since I was there, I talked with the gal at carpets, got an estimate for a couple of swatches I liked, and brought them home with me for Evie to look at.  I did not stop there because Wegman's was next door and I had to pick up a few things before driving home.  It was an interesting morning, to say the least.  We have talked about a new carpet for the past few years and we probably do need a new range but nothing gets done unless I act as the catalyst, like I did this summer when we bought a new refrigerator.

When I got home, Evie had made up a tasty vegetable beef soup out of yesterday's beef stew and she grilled me a couple of cheese sandwiches, so I had lunch and finished off another Longmire before taking a decent afternoon nap and continuing to read Ann Patchett's COMMONWEALTH.

Western Sky - 6:00 PM

Walking Lakeside Drive 
We had decided  when I got home that we would walk somewhere in late afternoon, so around 4:30 we drove over to Bemus, to walk Lakeside Drive, our go to walk in our early years here at the lake before we discovered Long Point State Park.  It was a chilly, windy afternoon, almost too windy for a walk but we persevered and took our time, taking many photographs, doing a walk through in a house which was being built (invited by the builder), and walking down and looking at some of the yards of a couple of empty lake front homes.  We walked to the end and back; it took us and hour and a half and somehow we walked 4.5 miles despite the fact the walk is usually only three miles.

Lenhart Hotel in Autumn

Dusk From Bemus Point
We decided to stop in at the Seezurh House and reward ourselves with a beer for taking such a brisk walk and ended up staying and having a healthy dinner of chicken wings and their special, three tacos for five bucks.  We sat at at the bar and talked most of the time with Robin, the manager of the bar/restaurant and the bartender, Deb, both who have been working there for years.

Wings And Tacos At The Seezurh House
We did not get home until after 8:00 and quickly put on our sweats and hunkered down in the TV room to watch some TV, first the new HBO series DIVORCE, then another episode of THE CIRCUS, on Showtime, which chronicles the election.  It is really well done and we have enjoyed it.

It's now 8:00 and though rain is predicted, a patch of blue sky has just opened up, with some sunlight. I have yoga this morning, then I have to drive into Erie to get the seat belt on my Honda accord replaced, free of charge fortunately.  Go Tribe! Go Cavs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...