Monday, October 31, 2016

A Morning At Gettysburg, Then Back To The Lake


Jill And Her Girls
We are both up early because we want to be on our way by 8:00 at the latest.  Hayden has to get the bus at 6:30 and she just left.  Whenever I hear other retirees like me talk about today's generation, how they cannot compare to our generation of the 1950's, especially how well educated we are, I think of Hayden, spending her entire weekend either studying, writing papers, or working out, and staying up most night's until midnight studying.  I knew no one like that in my high school; I got my hour of homework done in a study hall and hardly ever remember studying on a weekend.  These young people today are truly impressive and Hayden is a good example, self disciplined, ambitious, healthy and athletic.

Yesterday we spent hanging out, not wanting to do much other than watch football on TV for the guys, homework for Hayden and Halle, with Evie's help.  I was up early, of course, waiting for the others to wake.  The girls finally were up by 9:30 and wanted to go to the store with Drew and me because they needed some accoutrements for their Halloween costumes.  So we hit a couple of stores, picked up some vegetables for dinner, then finally found some things at Target for the girls' Halloween before ending up at Total Wines to pick up more wine and beer for a Halloween party they are having on Monday for some of the neighbors.

Waxing My Car

While we were at the store, Evie and Jill put together a couple of recipes of stuffed shells for the Halloween Party.  It took a good part of the morning. When we got home, Hayden and Drew decided to go for a short run, so I waxed my car as it was still cool enough to enjoy working outside.  It did not take me long, a little over a half hour, and now I hope it's ready for the winter weather, sure to come.  Most of the work was done by noon, so we had some lunch and Drew and Hayden went out for a short run before Jill and Drew ended up going off to the Bull Run Winery, to celebrate a friends birthday.

Stuffed Shells
Evie and I stayed home with the girls for the rest of the afternoon.  Evie and Halle hung out and played outside, Hayden was up in her room reading her AP World History, a bear, and I did what I am good at, nothing, meaning I fell asleep watching football.  It was sad to see Buffalo lose once again to Tom Brady and the Patriots but it was expected.  Around 3:45, Halle and I took the dogs out for a walk, and met Jill and Drew on their way home from the winery.

Ellen, Jill, Evie, Halle

Fun

Wine Time
And just after 4:00, my sister, Ellen, and her husband Walt came over for the afternoon and early evening.  They live about a half hour away in Herndon.  The guys sat inside talking football and cars and work; the gals were outside enjoying the porch and sunshine on a warm afternoon.  We got out the wine and appetizers and had a fun late afternoon until it was time to put the burgers on.

Dinner Helpers

The Burger Boys
And it was good timing, as the wind had picked up and it started to rain just as we cleared the table, came in, and brought in the burgers.  We sat around the table enjoying our burgers and fries, talking mostly about the TV series we have been watching.  The highlight, however, was dessert.  My sister, Ellen, made apple dumplings, a recipe from our Mom.  It was delicious, especially with ice cream, tasty apples, cinnamon, and a thick, sugar syrup.  They left just before the Indians game began and the rest of us sat in front of the TV, stuffed from dinner, too much wine, sort of watching the Indians but mostly playing on our devices.

We stayed up as long as we could watching the World Series but none of us made it to the end, another nail biter though this time the Tribe was on the losing end, 3-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...