Friday, April 15, 2016

Sunny

6:42
6:44
6:46
I was up at 6:20, no surprise, to another fine morning on the lake.  Clear skies, a whisper of wind, a smooth lake and 40º.  As I sip my coffee, listen to the pundits discuss last night's debate and write my blog, I realize this is not a bad way to spend a morning.  Gratitude comes to mind once again.

Yesterday was springtime at Chautauqua Lake, trees beginning to bud, the greet shoots of daffodils bursting from the soil, sounds of loons and other water fowl on the lake, and the yellowing of finches at our bird feeder.  It did not alter our days much, however, as we still are loathe to go for a hike or kayak, but I assume that will change today, with the temperatures getting into the high 60's.  So I went to a crowded yoga class yesterday morning, twenty two of us squeezed into the studio.  It was nice to see, as spring weather seems to be bringing out those who spent the winter hibernating.

Evie was busy catching up on things when I got home but quickly got ready to drive to the Y in Lakewood.  I heated up the vegetable soup, pulled out the leftover Cuban from the previous evening and had a filling lunch, as I watched the first quarter of the previous night's Golden State game.  It was fun to watch, as Stephen Curry took control in the first quarter and hit six three pointers, basically winning the game, setting the season record for most wins.  He is fun to watch, so much more interesting and thrilling than watching Lebron dribble, dribble, back in and shoot a fade away or pass.  Curry is a combination of Pete Maravich's ball handling skills and the shooting skills of a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller.  I look for Golden State games on TV and ignore the other teams.

After lunch, I read, some of David Remnick's LENIN'S TOMB, which I hope to work through and another Deon Meyer called 13 HOURS.   And after a short nap, I woke energized somewhat, for the first time since returning home, and went outside to work in the yard.  I raked and filled two trash cans with twigs and branches from our trees, then began the onerous task of putting away winter stuff in the garage attic, and taking down the summer stuff.  I also got my martin house out, so it's ready to raise in the next day or two, as the martins usually return on April 15th although we have not really noticed any yet.

Around 5:30, we relaxed with some wine and watched battalions of buffleheads, bob and dive in front of our house.  For some reason, the ducks  and geese seem drawn to the lake in front of our house. They are fun to watch and we never tire of watching them do their dance.  Dinner was easy, leftover chicken picata with rice, broccoli and a salad.   And we watched the last three shows on our queue, The Americans, Better Call Saul, and the final O. J. episode.  All three were great and it was interesting to relive the O.J. trial.  We both can remember having planned a lunch of enchiladas with Ed Ward, a friend and bartender at Bud's Carriage House.  The three of us watched in shock as O.J. was acquitted and the black crowds cheered, an Instagram of American polarity.  Whites thought him guilty, Blacks not guilty.  The results were ultimately more about race in American, Black anger towards the police, than justice.  And so it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...