Tuesday, April 26, 2016

It Rained Some (Really)

7:33
7:54
8:25
A surprise to wake up to a wet yard as it did rain 'some' last night.  We needed it.  It's a neat morning of clouds, the kind an artist might attempt to paint, various shapes, colors and moods above a shimmering gray lake.  In the middle of the night, the wind suddenly picked up, waking both Evie and me,  and all I could think about were the chairs and table on our dock.  When I got up this morning to look, both chairs are now sitting at the bottom of the lake, the table still standing, the bench knocked over forward.  I guess we need heavier chairs on the dock.  It's 47º out and will not get much warmer, perhaps into the low 50's.

I should head out to kayak right now but I am too lazy.  That is, however, how I started yesterday and it alway feels good to be out on the lake, a solitary figure, cutting lines into a smooth lake's surface, the loneliness of an early morning paddler.  Afterwards, I went to Yin yoga in Lakewood, always a good class, led by our leader, Danielle.  She always has a nice touch, knows the right things to say or do.  Then on to Ryder's Cup, to say hi to the regulars, Dave, Joyce the barrista, Janice, her sister who was working at the bookstore, and their parents, always there for a cup of coffee and a bagel.  Nice people.  I then drove to Sam's to pick up our dinner, a rotisserie chicken, some salad, and I found a pair of rubberized garden shoes for 20 bucks.  They look and feel great and the are 'a deal.'  Then I stopped at the local Auto Zone to pick up a spray on detailer, so I don't have to wash the entire car to get off some bird doo.  Got to keep that Subaru shiny.

When I got home, Evie was organizing the upstairs and starting to think about what she needs for our trip West in a couple of weeks.  So I made my lunch, ramen and a leftover steak sandwich with horseradish and finished  (I know I said it finished it before) Game of Thrones, Season 1, and I am now ready for Season 2.  The rest of the afternoon, for Evie, was taken over by Shutterfly, the app where you can create your own photo album.  Each spring, she puts together an album from the previous summer and it's a vast undertaking.   For the first half of the book, she's putting together close to 100 pictures from our week in Topsail, North Carolina.  The second half, which she will work on later in the week, will be photographs of our family at the lake.  She did not stop working until 5:30, as she can get pretty obsessive with it by the end of the day.

Meanwhile, I did some reading, took a too brief nap, then decided to get some things done outside. So I washed our front windows, those looking at the lake, which should be done every couple of weeks to keep our view crystal clear.  It was surprisingly quick as I used a new spray rather than my preferred method, a squeegee, and it only took about 15 minutes.  I then got out a ladder and worked on cleaning off the roof of our garage, littered with branches leaves and moss.  I used both and rake and a broom and it looks much better but I will have to use something to kill the remaining moss.

As I mentioned, Evie finished up with Shutterfly around 5:30, so we adjourned to the couch for wine time, to relax and enjoy the view.  Dinner was rotisserie chicken, a salad, and burro russo, a pasta with a sauce of tomato paste, milk, butter, and sage.  The chicken, unfortunately, was not up snuff, a bit tough but we had lots of salad and pasta.  We decided to watched an award winning documentary called AMY, on the tragic life of the singer Amy Winehouse.  What a tragic and sad life, an unhappy childhood of divorced parents, a rebellious teen, into alcohol, guys, then drugs. A singing contract at 18, fame in her early 20's, a life on display because of papparazzi, more drugs and alcohol and at 25, a death from alcohol poisoning.

Well, I could not pass up a quick paddle over to Long Point and back.  The clouds were incredible, the sun peaking through the trees of Long Point a la Ansell Adams.

Long Point From My Kayak
Kayak Morning

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...