Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A Fickle Morning Sky

6:28
6:38
6:44
Right now, it's 7:20, the clouds have arrived, darkening the morning sky, suggesting the possibility of rain.  Earlier, however, I was able to see the sunrise, above the tip of Long Point, the sky first orange, then pink, then the sun blasted above the horizon.  Now it's hidden, the gray clouds have taken over, as only a slash of light appears above the coastline.   It's a 45º morning, sun and clouds forecast for the day, no rain until later in the week.

7:16
What can I say about the weather that I haven't already said.  Yesterday was another splendid spring day at the lake.  I can get used to this, the blue skies and lake, the sun, the light breeze, the empty lake.  I was so energized early that I was out in the yard before yoga, doing some digging and turning dirt in a bare spot where we need to plant grass.  And I also renewed my morning ritual, in warm weather, of eating my breakfast of yogurt, blueberries and Evie's granola mix out on the dock, a great way to begin the day.  I was, however, worn out by 9:00 but I gathered up my mojo and made it to yoga with a couple of minutes to spare.  Another crowded class, I had to squeeze my mat in between a couple of fellow yoga students.  Danielle always makes class fun and interesting and she usually includes at least one new asana.  Afterwards, I stopped for coffee, said aloha to the regulars, then off to Home Depot to pick up  grass seed, a stop at the grocery for some lettuce, another stop at Mike's Nursery to pick up a box of Miracid, for acid loving plants like the hydrangeas and rhododendrons.

When I got home, Evie had raked and readied the bare spot for the grass seed and done the same where we keep our dock is stored.  It was too nice of a day to stay inside for Evie, so she decided to get some sun in the side yard and I had some lunch, more vegetable soup and pizza.  Neither one of us were very energetic in the afternoon, but around 3;00, I finally got up from my nap, put on my waders and waded out to fix the martin house, which seemed to be tipped.  It was a disaster; first I could not get the martin pole out with out pulling out the aluminum tube.  So I fussed with the house, then had to pound the tube into the sand and rock once again.  When I went to slip the martin pole back in the tube's hole, it was too small, as having pounded on its rim had collapsed the lip.  So I had to get out a file, and make the hole in the tube larger.  Finally, it was large enough and I was able to slip the martin pole in.  As I raised the house, I went a little too far and pulled the pole out of its brace and almost tipped the house into the water.  I finally raised it, tightened the bolts and nuts and went back to shore.  And it was still off center, all my struggles to no avail. And so it goes.

Next, I decided to seed the bare spot where our huge maple once stood.  I had bought Scott's EZ seed, which suggests all you need to do is ready the ground, then spread the seed, fertilizer, and straw mixture and water it.  So that's what I did.  It took about a half hour, carrying water cans from the lake to water until I decided to use the hose.

Around 5:30, the lake was settled, little wind, so we grabbed a beer and went out and enjoyed our dock for the first time this spring.  It was a bit chilly, so we wore fleeces, but it was nice to be able to enjoy the late afternoon on the lake.  Dinner was easy, as Evie had pulled the stuffed cabbage rolls out of the freezer earlier in the day.  All they needed was to be heated up and she also made some mashed potatoes, for me, as I love them with cabbage rolls, sauerkraut and tomato sauce.  My mouth is watering once again as I think about it.  We made about 40 or them last Februrary, toook some to Jill's for a dinner, and have had them two or three other times.  And they seemed better even though they have been frozen.  We finished the Anita Hill CONFIRMATION on HBO.  She comes off as a brave woman, someone who for the first time, brought sexual harassment before the American public. And we see politics at its worst, as the politicians did all they could to smear her name, making up stories, spreading rumors, whatever.  It was hard to watch at times.  And we had forgotten a lot of the details.  Joe Biden, in particular, comes off as weak, unwilling to stand up to the Republican's bullying and smearing of Hill.  And we watched a bit of the Donald in Buffalo, same crowds, same Trump lies and intolerance.  Western New York seems to love him.

Today we get to vote, a couple of the few Democrats in Chautauqua County.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...