Saturday, April 30, 2016

A Gray And Gloomy Saturday


7:25
7:27
I woke  at 6:00 although I was awake before then, waiting for some light to appear in the hallway. Then I know it's around 6:00 and I can get up. It's a Chautauqua gray morning, lake and sky, some rain late in the day and the same thing tomorrow.  What happened to sunny Saturday, which they predicted?

Blue Heron
Well, yesterday we finally got a rainy day, it did rain albeit reluctantly, or so it seemed.  We wanted a real  downpour but mostly got drizzle until late afternoon when we felt it actually rained enough so we got some puddles in the flowerbeds.  I did get to yoga at 9:30, enjoyed it as always and stopped for a coffee before heading home.  I had another easy lunch of leftover chicken tikki masala over rice and watched Game of Thrones and did some reading.  Evie surprised me by coming downstairs in her workout clothes and went off to the gym, like a good girl.  I thought she was taking a couple of days off but I was wrong.  Around 3:00, as I was sitting in my living room reading, I noticed the lake was motionless even though the sky was overcast.  I could not resist the temptation to kayak, so I quickly put on my life jacket, boots, and launched my kayak, paddling down to Whitney Bay to do some fishing.  Of course, soon after I got to my 'sweet spot', the wind picked up some and it began to drizzle, just enough to wet my jacket.  So I cast my line for a bit, paddled some, down towards Woodlawn, talked to our neighbors, Jeff and Nancy, who also were out kayaking like me but heading in because of the rain.  So I was home, warm in my house by 4:00 when Evie returned from the gym.  She had a great workout, her shirt was soaked, and she was happy because she found some new music.  All she needs is great music to keep her moving.

6:37  PM
7:04 PM -  A View of our View
We sat down to enjoy a Manhattan around 6:00, after all it's Friday, and we particularly like to have cocktail hour on an overcast early evening, as we say, it's nasty out.   Well,  the gray did not last for long, as the clouds disappeared and the sun came out, highlighting the eastern side of the lake, spectacularly, so we ended up running outside and taking photos in between sipping our Manhattans and saying wow, look at that.  It was an amazing metamorphosis from clouds and drizzle to a blue sky and the brightness of a setting sun on an early evening.  Both Tom's Point and Long Point were in full sun, the rest of the coast beginning to darken.  It lasted for at least a half hour.  We also were treated to a blue heron, fishing from several docks, which necessitated more photographs. Between us, we must have taken 100 shots.

Bemus Point's  Lakeside Drive at 7:30 PM
Tom's Point at 7:34 PM
Long Point at 7:50 PM
Finally, another wow as we also listened to Evie's new music find, Norwegian electronic music, with a hypnotic beat.  I felt like I was back in a bar in Cape Town, where everyone stands around the bar, grooving and moving to the beat.  There's no such thing as just standing; you have to move.  Needless to say it was a long cocktail hour, too much photo shooting, too much good music, and we did not get to dinner until after 8:00.

We had the leftover enchiladas from the previous evening, a great salad with avocados, hard boiled eggs and a blue cheese dressing and watched our  favorite series, The Americans.  We then watched some Stephen Colbert before going to read and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...