Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Let's Make America Great Again (Purple Martins Are Back)

6:36
6:37

Pop And Mom Martin
Home Again
A morning that leaves me at a loss for words...the striking contrast between the beauty of the morning, of a sunrise on Chautauqua Lake and the world of politics and the Donald's resounding victory in New York State. What a dichotomy.  It does look like one more amazing day on the lake before some clouds and rain return Thursday, much needed I might add.

Well, its 9:00 and it's copacetic.  I just returned from a great morning kayak paddle, over to Long Point and back, cruising by the martin houses, listening to their song, and watching a black lab retrieve sticks off of Long Point.  All's right in the world of Chautauqua Lake.
Kayaking Long Point
Labs Love The Water
Well, we are getting used to these marvelous spring days, of sun, clear skies and mild temperatures although neither of us feel as though we are fully taking advantage of them.  I did go to yoga despite the beckoning lake, an interesting class because it provoked a letter of apology from the studio's owner, apologizing for the class.  I guess some of the participants complained about the teacher who is admittedly, a rookie but give me a break.  Let it go.  I then hit the coffee shop again, stopped at Home Depot to pick up a sump pump, so that we can use water from the lake to water our grass, bushes and plants.  Got a deal...saved 13 bucks!  On the way home, I stopped at the fire station to vote.  I was the first or second person to vote.  The polls were open from noon to nine which surprised me as I thought they usually opened at 8:00.  This may make it easier for working folks to vote.

When I arrived home, Evie was talking with our neighbor, Debi, who stayed at the lake for an extra two days.  And Evie had been busy outside, raking and readying some of the brown spots for grass seed, then watering them.  So we have our yard mostly seeded and now watered, as I spent a good half hour in late afternoon, watering the bare spots with water from the lake.  It reminds me of a few summers ago when we had a new septic tank put in and I had to water the lawn each morning and evening for 20-30 minutes for two or three weeks.  I got good at it.

I had another piece of pizza for lunch, some soup, and watched another confusing episode of Game of Thrones.  I need to pay more attention and not leave two or three days between episodes as I forget what's been going on.  Around 2:00, Evie drove off to Wegman's to do some major shopping.  She stopped to vote, then zipped through Wegman's before being stuck for a good 30 minutes in traffic, as a truck was painting the lines on RT. 394.  When she got home, she was not a happy camper.

Evie settled down by 5:30 when it was wine time and we listened to the pundits predictions on the margins of the Trump and Hillary victories.  They were mostly wrong as both won resounding victories over their opponents.  Dinner was great, just what we both wanted.  Earlier in the day, Evie had sliced and pounded out a pork tenderloin, so we had a pork schnitzel dinner with hash browns, homemade applesauce pulled from the freezer, and a salad.   We watched the last episode of Better Call Saul, which surprised us with its ending.  We had hoped the two threads of the story would end one way but they ended the other.  Go figure.  I guess there will be a third season.  I have finished my Deon Meyer phase for the moment and am back in Berlin, in 1941, following Bernhard Gunther in Phillip Kerr's PRAGUE FATALE, my eighth Bernie Gunther novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...