Saturday, September 12, 2015

It's Raining!


7:10
 I could not believe it when I got up, puddles in the driveway, rain on the roof, at least a half inch overnight.  It seems like its been so long since we have a rainy day that I forgot what they were like.  It's a chilly 48º when I got up, a still chilly 54º now at 8:00 and Morning Edition just started.  It's supposed to rain off and on most of the day, cancelling I assume the Chalk Walk in Jamestown, one of our favorite events downtown.
A Beautiful Morning In The Neighborhood
Yesterday was a outstanding fall day even if it's not fall yet.  Sunny, some wind off and on and not too warm, in the 70's most of the day.  We took advantage of the calm lake in the morning for a long hour paddle, over to Long Point, then to Tom's Point and home.  By the time we were heading home, the smooth lake had turned to chop so we had to struggle the last quarter of a mile, a good work out, right.  After that, I cannot think of much else we did during the day.  Evie was out on the dock while I was inside having a bagel with salmon cream cheese, and a fresh tomato salad, the way I like it, with vinegar, oil, and basil, healthy and tasty, mostly because tomatoes are finally in season for a few weeks.  I watched some tennis and Serena seemed sure to win, having taken her first set 6-2, so I watched another episode of Longmire.  A mistake because Serena was ultimately upset by a no name opponent.

The afternoon was the same, Evie on the dock, coming in only to prep dinner, soaking some chicken thighs in buttermilk.  I read both in and out, on the porch, and around 5:00 finally got in a walk, through the campground, up our hill, around 45 minutes.  I have been feeling guilty for not getting in some kind of a walk/hike each day, as kayaking does not seem like enough exercise.

Not Your KFC's Chicken And Biscuits
While I was walking, Evie got inspired and put together some biscuits to go along with our chicken.
So they were baking while she breaded and fried the chicken thighs.  We had some cole slaw leftover from the previous night, so we had a KFC like dinner, only better and healthier.  We watched a movie I found on Netflix, a British flick called DEAR FRANKIE  and it was a good find.  It's difficult to find anything worth watching despite the fact that I have over 200 films on my queue. It's the story of a single mother, her deaf son, and a missing deadbeat dad.  The mother has never told the boy that his father has left them.  Instead, he thinks he's on a ship, always at sea.  The boy romanticzes his dad, writes him bi weekly letters, which are intercepted by mom, who then writes him back.  The trouble arises when the dad's ship comes to town.  The mom must find a surrogate father, eventually does through a friend, and the movie gets more interesting and unpredictable as the stranger ends up taking to the boy, and to the mom as well.  It could then have gotten melodramatic but it did not, avoiding the Hollywood kind of ending though it came close.  I liked it more than Evie but then I'm a SNAG (a sensitive new age guy), a sucker for a bitter sweet movie like this. Great performances by Mortimer and Butler,  well acted, touching and humorous.  A good movie to watch on a rainy afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...